But when does beer get infected? After boiling, cooling, after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyD

Reaction score
I had an incident with cooling wort (wort....kid....bath water....wasnt pretty!) so a little cold bath water fell in the cooling wort? Pitched slurry and fermentation started very soon after,

is this a problem?

Was their soap in the bath water? I'd worry about that as much as I'd worry about an infection.

Think about it like you were making tomato soup. Would you still want it with dirty bath water in it?

NO... not much soap, and I think it was only a few drops that splashed in when the rugrat through a toy in the water when i had the lid of to check the temp. It was an attempt to save water, by saving the babies bath water and let it cool over night

(dont want to think about it anymore!!!!! maybe the problem would go away if I dont think of it.......:( )

I always try and baby the wort as much as possible but honestly once the boil is complete and it's dropping temps down from a degree that can fight off the bad, that's when I start getting uber paranoid and protective of nasties.

That being said, this may make you feel better :tank:

Double boil on my electric stove complete, lids on both 4gal pots, I pull 1 lid off to take a temperature reading, turn to grab my thermometer, turn back around and notice all of the condensation from the boil that gathered underneath the fan and overhead light (our microwave is mounted above the stove) was dripping into my wort!

I hit panic mode and obviously decide to wipe the condensation off the overhang instead of putting the lid back before hand because I was being a moron that night (this was my second or third brew, pretty sure I was sauced as well). I go to wipe and the grease trap filter falls into the pot! !@#$ I pulled it out immediately with my bare fingers (another no no!), burned like hell but instinct I guess of a panicked newby, put the lid on the pot, took a breath, a drink of beer, laughed, then moved everything over to the sink, THEN proceeded with temperatures and cooling.

Reason I'm sharing this with you, it's quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever done while brewing BUT.... after all of that made it in, I moved on, finished chilling the wort, aerated, pitched my yeast and let it do its thing. The beer turned out great.

A couple drops of bath water obviously isn't a great addition to your beer lol, but far worse could have happened and there's nothing really you can do at that point accept plow through it. I would worry about infection when that time comes, which probably won't happen.

NO... not much soap, and I think it was only a few drops that splashed in when the rugrat through a toy in the water when i had the lid of to check the temp. It was an attempt to save water, by saving the babies bath water and let it cool over night

(dont want to think about it anymore!!!!! maybe the problem would go away if I dont think of it.......:( )

A few drops? I wouldn't worry very much.

Just keep brewing and don't worry too much about it until you actually experience an infection. I have been brewing for 1.5 years now and usually get pretty toasted and sometimes just flat out sloppy while brewing but have yet to experience an infection. The one thing I always do is keep a spray bottle of starsan handy and spray everything that I am using throughout the process (buckets, tops, air locks, thermometers for cooling wort , turkey baster etc.). Happy Brewing!

Back