Burying bines to get new rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danek

Reaction score
I'd like to grow additional hop plants next year by taking rhizomes from my existing plants. I remember reading that if you bury the bines while they're still attached to the main plant, they'll put down new roots where they're buried, and these can then be separated and planted as new plants. Trouble is, I can't remember if I'm supposed to do that now, just after the harvest, or in the spring. Anyone know?

Now is the best time, although you can bury the early shoots in the spring. You can dig a shallow trench (2-3") or put small mounds of dirt over sections of the bine.

According to a timeline chart at Grow Hops Yahoo group: "Bury mid-October, nip off growing tip, sever from plant mid November". I believe side arms should be pruned if they don't fall off on their own and but I'm not sure about the leaves but I expect those to fall off too. I'm planning on burying 4" deep with a good layer of mulch on top but it gets really cold here during the winter. You should thin out the rhizomes every three years leaving the main central roots intact. I would not dig into them until the first three years have passed.

In the spring, you could just dig carefully on one side of your main plant and harvest a section of root. I did this, this year on a 3 year old Cascade. I took a root, about 16 inches long and cut it into 3 pieces and planted them right away. They all grew great and I harvested over a pound(dry) from these 3 plants.

Back