Burnt brew nylon brew bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Closrosa

Reaction score
I recently burned a nylon brew bag while mashing (I think the bag was too big for the kettle pot I was using). Anyone else has experienced this and do you think I should dump the beer? I attached a picture for reference. The flavor may be off but from a health perspective would it be safe to drink?

Attachments

• 06D10B15-3F03-43A2-9FA0-4B894B12DD9A.jpeg
    06D10B15-3F03-43A2-9FA0-4B894B12DD9A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
I don't know, of course. I suspect its not dangerous to your health, in that its such a small amount of plastic diluted in five gallons of beers. But yeah, that stinks.

You might look into using cotton bags.

Nylon and polyester bags are thermoplastic, so they melt before they burn. A lot of the missing material is probably shrunk back or stuck to the pot. If the flavor is not offensive, I would be tempted to keep going. The boil will most likely drive off a lot of the off-flavor. However, mashing just got a lot trickier.

Scorching non-chlorine/fluorine plastics is not much different than scorched animal. The placebo toxicity is going to haunt you more than the actual effect. Go with what you’re comfortable with.

Back