Quantcast

Burner LP fitting ?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
So I just finished breaking my 3 tier gravity system down to a pump system and hard lined all my burners to run off of 1 LP tank. I had some trouble finding the brass fittings for all the connections but it turned out really nice. My ? is. I noticed that the fitting that threads directly into the burner is pointed with a very small hole, I realize this is probably to promote atomizing and to push the LP directly to the burner. I can't seem to find these anywhere and so I settled on a 1/8'' MPT fitting. Is this going to work? Will I have trouble stabilizing the flame or controlling it?
Cheers, Gabe

Reaction score
A 1/8" NPT fitting is probably WAY too big for your application. The fitting you're looking for is a jet. It doesn't atomize anything, as LP is already gas. However, it does restrict gas flow, resulting in the correct fuel/air ratio. You need to find or fabricate a fitting with a similar inside diameter as the stock jet.

OP
Gabe

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
Thanks Yuri, any idea on where one might look to find a jet with a npt of 1/8''? I thought LP was a liquid until the split second that it hits the atmosphere where it changes to a gas? Anyhow, let me know if theres a place on the web where I can order a jet. Thanks.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
maybe I am missing something here, but why not work the system to use the jets that are on the lines that came with the burners?

Reaction score
Alright, I concede that LP (Liquid Propane) is indeed a liquid...until it's regulated down to the pressures at which you're using it for heating. It leaves the jets as a gas.

Check BBQ grill supply stores for jets that will fit your application.

OP
Gabe

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I did that on my Banjo burner Gila, but my 2 other burners are old camp stove finds. 1 is 55,000 btu and the other is a 30,000. Needless to say they were bare bones. Thanks guy's.

kladue

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Check the old burner fitting and see if the jet is screwed into the 1/8" NPT fitting, if it is then you will need a 1/4-28 tap to tap inside of new 1/8" fitting. Have done same thing when conveted from 1/8"NPT X #6 AN type fitting to swagelok tube fitting, use locktite thread lock on new threads for orifice fitting to prevent suprises.