Burned Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
I forgot to stir continuously when I added my liquid extract and it scorched on the bottom. I was pulling out pices of burned malt. Is this going to effect my beer? Did I ruin it?

Try using more water next time too... When I was extract brewing, I always started with at least 2 gallons in my 16qt SS pot (thick clad bottom)... Never had any scorching of anything on the bottom... I would just stir as I added the extract (either LME or DME) to get it into solution... I never turned off the gas either...

We've got an electric stove,so I take it off the hot burner by sliding it over to a cold one. Then stir in the malt(s). I even tried using only 1 1/4 gallons in the brew kettle (5 gal) thinkin it would boil more vigorously.
WRONG! It still only got up to a heavy simmer. Let it do that for a short while to sanitize it,then made my 1oz hop addition for 15 mins. Then slide it off the heat to mix everything.

unionrdr, you need to replace that POS stove then... If you can't get 5 quarts of water up to a boil, that's one really crappy stove. I get more than that up to a boil when cooking noodles... :eek:

You're not adding any bittering hops? Don't tell me you use pre-hopped LME... :drunk:

I would use an accurate thermometer to see if you've hit 212F... If you have, technically, you're boiling (lower temperature if you're at a higher elevation)...

unionrdr, you need to replace that POS stove then... If you can't get 5 quarts of water up to a boil, that's one really crappy stove. I get more than that up to a boil when cooking noodles... :eek:

You're not adding any bittering hops? Don't tell me you use pre-hopped LME... :drunk:

I would use an accurate thermometer to see if you've hit 212F... If you have, technically, you're boiling (lower temperature if you're at a higher elevation)...

See 2nd to last line. I did it the way I've read aussies do it on the Cooper's sight. The hops they use in the OS cans are ok for bittering,but neutral in flavor. Doesn't take much to kick it in the slats.
Besides,I'm not into 250 kiloton hop bombs.
But man,I sure wish I'd chosen the gas stove instead when we built the house. Thought electric was cheaper,I guess. Shame on me...:confused:

I just took a gravity reading. 1.018. OG was 1.060. ABV 5.7. So I'm thinking that its time to bottle. But i think there is a mild off flavor in it but I can't tell if its just because its unfinished.

If there's ANY odd/off flavors, give it more time on the yeast... At under two weeks in, you still need to give it more time. You also need to compare at least two SG readings, spaced 2-3 days apart before you can consider it a FG. Doesn't matter if it looks like it's at the recipe's estimated FG or not. Giving it more time [on the yeast] will only do the brew good. I would give it at least 2-4 weeks on the yeast. Taste the hydrometer samples and wait until it actually tastes right before you look to bottle it...

Its been in primary for the weeks now and fermentation has come to a stand still. I know there is ill effects if you leave your beer on the yeast to long as well...

Its been in primary for the weeks now and fermentation has come to a stand still. I know there is ill effects if you leave your beer on the yeast to long as well...

People, here (Revvy for one) have left brew's on the yeast for 6 months without any negative effects. I've gone 6 weeks (so far) without any ill effects... So there's no need to rush a brew off the yeast in <4 weeks.

Golddiggie said:
People, here (Revvy for one) have left brew's on the yeast for 6 months without any negative effects. I've gone 6 weeks (so far) without any ill effects... So there's no need to rush a brew off the yeast in <4 weeks.

Isn't the general consensus that wheat beers should be drank young though?

I've not made a wheat beer yet... Not really sure if the same parameters can be applied to them... If you use an ale yeast, I would imagine that you'd want the flavors to be in line with the style before you bottle/keg it...

I've yet to get around to brewing a wheat beer,but 3 weeks in the bottle should be fine from what I've read. & since they are mostly hazy beers, a couple days in the fridge should be good as well. I've even read of them being good at 2 weeks in the bottle. But you'd have to judge that for yourself.
But with an ale yeast,I'm going to say 3 weeks in the bottle & 3-5 days in the fridge.

unionrdr said:
I've yet to get around to brewing a wheat beer yet,but 3 weeks in the bottle should be fine from what I've read. & since they are mostly hazy beers, a couple days in the fridge should be good as well. I've even read of them being good at 2 weeks in the bottle. But you'd have to judge that for yourself.
But with an ale yeast,I'm going to say 3 weeks in the bottle & 3-5 days in the fridge.

Its still in the primary.

Its still in the primary.

I went back & re-read the thread,& you said it's been in primary for "the" weeks now. Did you mean two or three? My pale ale sat on the yeast for 4 weeks exactly before I deemed it ready to bottle. And that's beside the bottle aging/carbing time I previously stated. Hope that clears up my thoughts a little.

I went back & re-read the thread,& you said it's been in primary for "the" weeks now. Did you mean two or three? My pale ale sat on the yeast for 4 weeks exactly before I deemed it ready to bottle. And that's beside the bottle aging/carbing time I previously stated. Hope that clears up my thoughts a little.

Oops...i should probably start proofreading my posts lol. My bad. Yeah its been in primary for 3 weeks as of Monday....so almost 4 now.

I know someone who was making a scotch ale and scorched some extract on the bottom of the pot. This actually helped the beer, gave it a nice smoky note that went well with the style. It will mellow over time.

beeber said:
I know someone who was making a scotch ale and scorched some extract on the bottom of the pot. This actually helped the beer, gave it a nice smoky note that went well with the style. It will mellow over time.

Over time in the primary or in the bottle?

Hmmm...rouchweizen,anyone? See how it turns out. A lil of that quality might be a good indicator of something else to play with.:mug:

I'm sure the OP has read Revvy's post on waiting, but I thought I'd add my twopence.

My first batch was a porter kit and I burnt the HE!! out of the LME. I mean it was BURNT and stuck to the bottom of the pot. After a month in the bottle it was awful. Same story 3 months later. I dumped most of it at that point, but kept 3 bottles just in case. About 8 months later it was delicious and the acrid, astringent, burnt flavor was completely gone. Just give it a LONG time if you scorched the LME badly and it'll turn out eventually.

Back