Burned diffusion stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
So I got finished brewing yesterday and part of my routine cleanup includes boiling my diffusion stone in some water to unclog it after each use. Well, I threw it in my saucepan with some water and cranked the heat, saw it bubble and said to myself I'll check it in 10 minutes. WEll, 15 minutes later after watching football, my house is filled with smoke (amazing how quick this all happened) and I have the wonderful aroma of burned plastic tubing as well. My sauce pan is charred like crazy and I wonder if the stone itself is now done. I have soaked it in 2 different things so far - CLR and OxyClean. One "bath" was CLR, the other was OxyClean. Do you think the stone is still usable if it still emits bubbles? I have not tested it to see if it will still work? What further steps (besides boiling it in water) would you suggest to help sterilize the stone? (this time I WILL set a timer).

Secondly, any tips on how to get nasty ass charring off of a saucepan? I'm trying a bath in vinegar and baking soda now per some internet post I saw, so it must be valid....

Back