Bulk hops in the summer heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been buying hops by the pound for a while now. I keep the hops frozen and vacuum sealed and it seems to last forever. Well, at least it lasts fine until I use it. Through some bad timing, I'm running low on a few varieties and I need to order a few lbs. I usually avoid ordering hops (and especially liquid yeast) in the Texas summer heat, but that seems unavoidable now. So the questions is: order just a few ounces to get me through the summer or order a bunch and freeze on arrival. I'm tempted to order a bunch. Anybody got an opinion?

L

Check with Jeff at Yakimavalleyhops.com
I get slot of my hops through him and they ship super fast.

The hops I ordered in August last year from HopsDirect survived the shipping in the heat of Georgia (and wherever else it had to travel through). I've been keeping them as you described and haven't noticed any issues.

My opinion - order a bunch of hops.

I just checked the prices at Yakima valley hops. The hops and the shipping are cheap, so I don't think I'm risking much. I'll go ahead and order in bulk.

L

Nice. I think I ended up with 25 lbs and together with shipping was right at 85. Check his specials, lots of good deals there, plus they are all fresh. I cant complain at all with the quality and quantity. Great guy. I'll definitely order from Jeff again.

Back