Building your yeast cell count with multi-step starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
The purpose is to demonstrate that yeast does, in fact, reproduce. lol

I use this wonderful calculator to determine how many cells are needed for my batch and how to overbuild it for harvesting.

http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

With a fresh generation 0 yeast, I love to both build up the cell count for the brew day and build about 100b cells for harvesting. Since I started harvesting, I have proven to myself how much money I can save with this hobby. DME for starter use, I've found, is worth the cost for what I save in buying fresh packs of yeast for every brew.

WLP820, produced 3 months before date of starter. 1.037 wort is produced for the first step of the starter.

yeast - day 0.jpg
yeast - day 1 copy.jpg

On day 3, 72 hours on plate, I harvest 900ml of what the first step of the starter has produced. I am estimating that at 100-150b cells.

yeast - day 3b harvested copy.jpg

Then I prepared 900ml of 1.067 starter wort. Again, I used the calculator to determine how many grams of DME were needed for that volume of water. Why 1.067? My friend @IslandLizard will explain the math equation. The goal being to get what's left in the flask to a target gravity of 1.037 again. On harvesting that 900ml, certainly sugars (gravity points) went out with the yeast. Thus, balance what's remaining in flask with higher gravity wort. Give the yeast something to eat and reproduce with. At least, that's my loose understanding of it.

yeast - day 3c step 2 added copy.jpg

There's the second step of starter wort added to the 900ml in the flask.

And, 5 days of stirring and two steps of wort has yielded this thick layer of yeast:

yeast - day 5b - layer dropped right down as soon as I took it off the plate copy.jpg

I have calculated 400b cells which is what this lager wants.

Of course I have skipped details like cooling the wort before combining it with yeast... cold crashing between steps (if you have time / if the yeast will easily crash [both factors worked against me for this build])... harvesting methods like washing...

Anyway, hope some folks find this useful!

That's one awesome layer of yeast you've got there in that last picture!

Now it's a Lager yeast, they tend to be a bit fluffier than most ale yeasts. Yet, I'm willing to bet you've got at least 400 billion cells in there!

Back