Building new stand, changing plan from propane to electric and need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaheel

Reaction score
So, I am ready to begin on a new brew stand next week. I brew 5 gallon and want to move up to 10 gallon batches. The original plan was to base the design on SouthernYankee's single tier propane, however a few days ago I started thinking that I woule really like to have the ability to brew indoors and started reading about electric set-ups and would like to go this route if at all possible with a reasonable expense. I have an open 30A breaker that I can run wiring to a GE Spa box in my basement. I have read a lot on the electric brewery and its awesome, just out of my price range.

Goal:
Begin with a basic electric system that I can expand to a three vessel system without having to re-buy or replace parts as I expand.

Here's what I have now:
Two keggles for HLT and BK
Coleman Xtreme for MLT (eventually plan on replacing with another keggle)
1 1/2" steel for brew stand

Here's what I am thinking I need for electric:
Convert HLT to ekeggle (weldless element using POL's design) 5500W
Convert BK to ekeggle (weldless) 4500W
pump(s)
GE Spa Panel for GFCI
30A outlet (3 wire or 4 wire, not sure)
Temp module?
Control panel-this is where I need the most help and basically clueless. Can anyone suggest parts needed? I know I am asking alot, just need some help and direction.

Thanks!

Here's what I am not thinking I need for electric:
???? "not" ??

Convert HLT to ekeggle (weldless element using POL's design) 5500W
Convert BK to ekeggle (weldless) 4500W
pump(s)
if $$$ is holding you up consider using multi-tier. uses less pumps. I find it simpler. Just my opinion.
GE Spa Panel for GFCI
30A outlet (3 wire or 4 wire, not sure)
Try to make it 4 wire. If you are running a new circuit then 4 for sure.
Temp module?
Control panel-this is where I need the most help and basically clueless. Can anyone suggest parts needed? I know I am asking alot, just need some help and direction.
Search this forum and read alot this can help you more than anyone telling you what you want, need or can afford.
You can go very simple, which is usually less $$, or go with all the bells and buzzers you want.
Find your happy median.

Thanks for the reply!

The "not" was a typo on my part. I am reading and learning more as I go. I really can't see reason not low go electric.

Do I need two PID's for the BK and HLT ekeggle or just one?

You are running on a 30A circuit. You only need to have one PID. Switching allows you to maintain control of you system and its process.

Thanks for the reply P-J!

So with one PID I would need to switch between the elements. If I used two PID's could I run both elements at the same time? Would this need a larger circuit?

Thanks for the reply P-J!

So with one PID I would need to switch between the elements. If I used two PID's could I run both elements at the same time? Would this need a larger circuit?
With a 30A-240V circuit, you will only be able to run a single kettle at one time (HLT or BOIL). If you provide a 50A-240V circuit, you can run 2 kettles at the same time (HLT and BOIL). This would require that you to have 2 PIDs. With that setup you can do back to back batches. If you do not intend or want to do back to back brew sessions, save your money and just use a single PID.

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

Thanks again P-J! This helps me out alot. Have you designed a wiring diagram for this type off set-up before?

Check out PJ's diagram here. It's about as simple and inexpensive as you can get. It's pretty much what I'm modeling my system off of.

Thanks again P-J! This helps me out alot. Have you designed a wiring diagram for this type of set-up before?
I've designed and posted a bunch of diagrams for a lot of different designs and setups. Once you decide what you want to do - Please - let me know and I'll try to develop one for your specific situation.

Wishing you the best.

P-J

I've designed and posted a bunch of diagrams for a lot of different designs and setups. Once you decide what you want to do - Please - let me know and I'll try to develop one for your specific situation.

Wishing you the best.

P-J

Thanks again P-J! I will be in contact soon.

I would like to use some type of illuminated switches, but have no idea what I need to look for. Can someone please give me info on what I need to look for?

I would like to use some type of illuminated switches, but have no idea what I need to look for. Can someone please give me info on what I need to look for?
I just responded to your PM with switch info for you. Once you decide, please let me know and I'll set up a wiring plan for you.

P-J

I just responded to your PM with switch info for you. Once you decide, please let me know and I'll set up a wiring plan for you.

P-J

I just read your pm. Thanks again for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it. I have learned so much over the past couple of weeks and still have a very long way to go.

We have just started wedling my brewstand and I will contact you in the next week or so.

So the stand is almost finished, just need to add the casters.

I have purchased a fiberglass enclosure with back plate and a spa panel. I am in need of a wiring diagram and just need to confirm what kinds of switches I will need so that I can get a few more things ordered.

So the stand is almost finished, just need to add the casters.

I have purchased a fiberglass enclosure with back plate and a spa panel. I am in need of a wiring diagram and just need to confirm what kinds of switches I will need so that I can get a few more things ordered.

Send PJ a PM and he'll help you out. He's "good people"!

I haven't heard anything from P-J, so I figured I would repost to see if anyone else may be able to point me in the right direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back