Building my first keezer, questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
So as the title states, I'm making a keezer. I have a 5cubic ft Kenmore that I'm pretty sure I can fit 2 cornys and the c02 tank in.
I plan to make a collar and attach it to the freezer and attach the lid to the collar

Here's my question: there is a plastic/rubber type gasket on the opening of the freezer (what the lid rests on when its closed) Should I attempt to remove that and re attach to top of collar or just build collar on top of that?

Thanks. Can't wait to start this project. No more bottling for me, yay!

Here's my question: there is a plastic/rubber type gasket on the opening of the freezer (what the lid rests on when its closed) Should I attempt to remove that and re attach to top of collar or just build collar on top of that?

The gasket is attached to the freezer body rather than the lid? Or are there two gaskets?

I'm guessing the OP is referring to the hard plastic cap rail running around the top of the cabinet walls. I would not remove that...

Cheers!

If it is on the main freezer portion and you feel it does not provide a good seal, then remove it and seal your collar onto the freezer, remount the lid to the back of the collar and some type of foam/ rubber sealer for the lid to seal against.

Usually the rubber part is attached on the lid and you can just add the collar to the base part of the freezer and re-attach the lid.
Best of luck

So I now have 2 5cf freezers. I bought one of CL and it has a terrible smell I cant get rid of - Im pretty sure the smell is in the lid. I got a 2nd one for free from my mother in law. Its pretty old -HOLIDAY-brand but it does work. The gasket is yellowed (she smokes) and its a little short.

The smelly one is perfect sized and newer - pic posted below.

Im trying to decide which to use. I am leaning heavily towards the smelly one as it looks better and everything fits perfectly - even without the collar.

Ive been told I can remove the lid gasket, then remove the plastic and carve out all the insulation and replace it. Im thinking that might be the way to go.

The older one has no bad smells, is clean, and works but its old and Im not really liking the short and fat look.

What do you guys think - I dont think I want to build an entirely new lid.
20201111_191838_resized.jpg

So I pulled the lid off the "smelly" freezer and pulled the rubber gasket out. I soaked both the lid and the gasket in a solution of bleach. oxy and water.

Good part is, the lid doesnt smell. Bad part is the gasket does. I still have the gasket soaking hoping to kill the smell but I might end up buying a new gasket (Sears has them for $46 = cheapest I could find)

Ill post pics of the build soon.

After soaking the gasket in bleach water for 2 days I threw it in the dishwasher. (read somewhere that can help) I think I got about 80% of the smell out but it still there if I sniff real hard. Im gonna throw it back together and turn on the freezer with my inkbird and see how she smells after a day or so. If its tolerable then Ill keep it, if not then I will buy the new gasket - just didnt want to spend anymore money and the item is on backorder until Dec 14th. Oh well.

After soaking the gasket in bleach water for 2 days I threw it in the dishwasher. (read somewhere that can help) I think I got about 80% of the smell out but it still there if I sniff real hard.

It seems like the solution at this point would be to just stop sniffing the gasket.

It seems like the solution at this point would be to just stop sniffing the gasket.
LOL - its one of those smells that seems to permeate when the lid is closed, if the lid is open its not so bad but that would defeat the purpose of keeping the beer cold. :)

Have you removed the lid liner and checked to see if the insulation is permeated with that odor?

Cheers!
I havent removed the lid liner but holding the entire lid to my nose for several seconds has made me determine there isnt a lingering smell trapped in the lid. It seems to be just the gasket. Lid is back on freezer - I will just have to wait and see

Added camper seal. Ditched the smelly lid gasket, secured lid and cut out foam.

Attachments

• 20201128_184407.jpg
    20201128_184407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • 20201128_184421.jpg
    20201128_184421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 20201128_185039.jpg
    20201128_185039.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Made some more progress on the keezer. At this time it is functional with Picnic taps and Ive already burned through 2 5 Gal cornys... Man Kegging is sooo much better than bottling...
20210117_132140.jpg

Back