Building inline hop infuser, ISO: seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invictusbrew

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot - if not, please feel free to move it, mods.

I'm putting together an inline hop infuser (think hop rocket) with all tri-clamp construction. I have all the parts necessary including the screen (perforated SS cylinder), however, I need to find a seal for said screen so that I'm not scratching the heck out of the inside of this thing every time I move the screen in or out. I've had a heck of a time finding what I'm looking for even though I have seen these types of seals before (I think my biggest problem is not being able to figure out what to call these to tell the Google what I want).

Basically I want to have the perforated SS cylinder with a flat disc welded on top (a little wider than the diameter of the cylinder - as shown below). Then the seal I'm trying to find (see cross-section to the left below) is basically the reverse of a grommet, with the groove on the inside instead of the outside. If anyone knows what this is called (to make my search easier) or where I can find something like this, I would be very very happy. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Seal_zpseonhp2rb.jpg

I know what you are looking for, I, too cant find it. You could try and get a silicone v-ring, and turn it inside out and see if that works.

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well, I suppose if worse comes to worst I can go that route. What kills me is that I know I've seen these things around, I just can't find them now :/

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well, I suppose if worse comes to worst I can go that route. What kills me is that I know I've seen these things around, I just can't find them now :/

I know. I did a modest search when I saw this thread, then got invested bc I know exactly what you need/referring to but couldnt find it. Its like having that one word on the tip of your tongue...

I know. I did a modest search when I saw this thread, then got invested bc I know exactly what you need/referring to but couldnt find it. Its like having that one word on the tip of your tongue...

Haha! So true. I've got an email out to a friend who works in custom rubber molding , extrusion, etc that will know what the heck it's called, and I'm sure he can make me something if need be, I just really thought it would be easier to find something off the shelf than it has proven to be.

Thank you all for your help so far, I really appreciate it!

Back