Building a SIMPLE electric boil kettle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeutscheMaster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a simple electric boil kettle. I already have the kettle and a Blichman boilcoil 240V 4500W.
All I want is a way to adjust the element. I will be mashing in a cooler, and gravity feeding into the kettle. I do not want pumps, HERMS, RIMS, or any form of automation. I have used the search function, but everything I find is uber complicated. I'm not an engineer or an electrician, I'm simply looking for an easy to use, and setup element controller.

Awesome! I did hours of google fu, and never found anything useful. Thank you so much for the help. :tank: Should be ebrewing in the warmth of my kitchen in a couple weeks.

Nothing should go wrong if it's build right. Mine is water tight with a nice heat sink... the plastic enclosure doesn't even get warm. Plus, plastic is non-conductive and I like that.

Someone is selling brew pot boil controllers on www.Amazon.com for $242.55 each. I have not bought one but they look simple enough.

When you say "someone" you mean Tom Hargrave and his company Kegkits. You haven't bought one but then again, why would you buy a controller from yourself Tom? How many times are you going to get banned from HBT and come back with another login just to post a bunch of shill BS?

"someone" is rated on BBB.org also: http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama...tom-hargrave-sales-in-huntsville-al-900050886

You are a rare skid mark on a hobby filled with otherwise awesome people.

I must have gotten seriously lucky because I purchased that amazon controller before reading anything about Hargrave. I bought it through amazon and received it promptly. Hell he was even pretty accommodating and switched the dryer plug out for an L6-30 for me. Responded to my emails and everything.

After reading all those reviews, it looks like I better go buy myself a lotto ticket.

still dragon has a simple controller that is easy to build for about 42.00 http://stilldragon.com/index.php/accessories.html?p=2 go to page one for the kit

How much ventilation does one of those SSRs need? I'm thinking about building one of these simple controllers so that I can get indoors quickly while still pondering about what kind of full-size system I want to build. But I don't want to burn down the house.

I'm thinking I can have my BK do double duty to heat strike and sparge water and using my smaller kettle for temporary storage...or something.

How much ventilation does one of those SSRs need? I'm thinking about building one of these simple controllers so that I can get indoors quickly while still pondering about what kind of full-size system I want to build. But I don't want to burn down the house.

I'm thinking I can have my BK do double duty to heat strike and sparge water and using my smaller kettle for temporary storage...or something.

i drilled 1/2" holes around the sides of my box and seems to work fine, mine doesnt heat up hardly any. I have to say that i didnt buy their kit as i didnt like the plastic box. i went on ebay and found cheaper parts from china (had to wait 10 days for delivery but wasnt in a hurry) the box i used was a metal cash box i had around the house from a rummage sale

100_0615.jpg

100_0618.jpg

100_0619.jpg

i drilled 1/2" holes around the sides of my box and seems to work fine, mine doesnt heat up hardly any. I have to say that i didnt buy their kit as i didnt like the plastic box. i went on ebay and found cheaper parts from china (had to wait 10 days for delivery but wasnt in a hurry) the box i used was a metal cash box i had around the house from a rummage sale

Ok, so another question, I see that you nor the instructions from the site shows any sort of on/off toggle. When the pot is turned all the way down, is it completely non-energized? Wouldn't it be a bit safer to have a "main" toggle?

Not much with a heat sink. My heat sink barely gets warm during a brew sesh. My plastic enclosure doesn't get warm at all...

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416171297.184969.jpg

Ok, so another question, I see that you nor the instructions from the site shows any sort of on/off toggle. When the pot is turned all the way down, is it completely non-energized? Wouldn't it be a bit safer to have a "main" toggle?

you can add a switch . i unplug mine when finished with heating and never plug it in unless the element is covered to be safe, however when the pot is turned all the way down the ammeter shows zero but i dont really trust the ammeter for an accurate measurement it was a cheapo just add a light switch or toggle to it if it makes you feel better

Here comes the really stupid question. What is the SSR for? Can you not just use a potentiometer to control the output of the element?

Here comes the really stupid question. What is the SSR for? Can you not just use a potentiometer to control the output of the element?

An SSR is a Solid State Relay.
They can be used in a number of different ways to do precise control of electric power.

That's why brewers are using them to control large electrical loads like heating elements.

Back