Building a new Keezer with Coffin style top.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
I got hold of a cheap enough freezer so I can commence my new keezer and retire the TARDIS to a fermentation chamber for my incoming SSbrewtech Concial i'm planning to buy.

Now I've heard differing reports from my colleagues who are certified fridgies.
most say attaching the wood directly to the skin ofthe freezer via liquid nails, won't be a problem and that the reduced life of the freezer will be so minimal it won't make any reall difference based on money spent.

This is ideal because it will significantly reduce my costs of having to build full cabinetry round the freezer.

The one guy who said no suggested that the wood will effect the release of heat and reduce your capacity on the freezer if you do this, which is to me over engineering (the simplest solution is normally the best solution).

What are people's thoughts?

My second query is, the freezer i bought has 2 things
1. some very small roller wheels for movement.
- given the weight i'll be adding, would you auggest these wheels will be adequate when changing over kegs? Or will the weight cause issues with movement and should I ad a timber frame on the bottom for movement with proper trolley wheels (bear in mind that doing this increases the height a fair bit, which I would prefer to avoid if possible).

and

2. the lid has a slight curve in it (i didn't realise when i bought it), which may cause some minorissues in mounting the top to the freezer lid.
anyone have any ideas aboutthebest way to go about it? - chances are i'll attempt to bolt the top to the lid to make sure it stays attached (lisuid nails or glue etc. may be effective but still not 100% effective).

what are people's thoughts and if anyon has any suggestions, relating to the design and construction of such an item (coffin top is essential, as my son got a little too interested in my kergerator recently and while he didn't drink any beer, he did pul a tap (yeah i know, im a bad influence), he does enjoy brewing with me though.

Did you stumble onto this thread yet?

fwiw, as I tend to over-engineer pretty much everything, I'd go with the classic rib spacer frame with the (plywood or whatever) skin outboard and the airspace actively vented, but there are plenty of opposing positions to be considered.

For your other questions:

- I have a 12cf keezer with 6 kegs and a t-tower mounted to the lid - so, not a coffin, but the weight probably isn't a whole lot different when all kegs are full. I mounted the freezer cabinet atop an 8" tall dolly with 2" castors and even totally full it's easy to roll over the hardwood floor and even up onto the adjacent carpet runner. I've seen lots of coffin (and collar) designs with castors, so I'd say go for it.

PB110004.JPG

- If your intention is to overlay the metal lid with some kind of decking you could level it out by surrounding the lid with a square/level frame (pretty common with coffin keezers) to attach the top skin...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Did you stumble onto this thread yet?

fwiw, as I tend to over-engineer pretty much everything, I'd go with the classic rib spacer frame with the (plywood or whatever) skin outboard and the airspace actively vented, but there are plenty of opposing positions to be considered.

For your other questions:

- I have a 12cf keezer with 6 kegs and a t-tower mounted to the lid - so, not a coffin, but the weight probably isn't a whole lot different when all kegs are full. I mounted the freezer cabinet atop an 8" tall dolly with 2" castors and even totally full it's easy to roll over the hardwood floor and even up onto the adjacent carpet runner. I've seen lots of coffin (and collar) designs with castors, so I'd say go for it.

View attachment 649379

- If your intention is to overlay the metal lid with some kind of decking you could level it out by surrounding the lid with a square/level frame (pretty common with coffin keezers) to attach the top skin...

Cheers!

Thanks for the detailed reply - this is why forum's are so good when it comes to asking these types of questions.

Anyways, i've done some research regarding the castors situation, and have decided against it. the freezer itself has small wheels, which more relatively easily it turns out (when i bought it, the wheels were stuck and a little grindy, but i've managed to spend a little time and free them up).
I'm keeping it this was, as i will be attaching a collar to the freezer, for attaching the manifold and i don't really want to cut into the freezer, for obvious reasons. and with a 350mm coffin on top, it may end up a little higher than i want it, if i add castors.

I'll look further into the framing situation, and will base my decision on the projected R value or the wood i plan to use, to confirm if its worthwhile me doing as you've suggsted.

thanks again.
ROB.

Latest posts

Back