Building a kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theudi32

Reaction score
What type of drill bit do you use to drill through a refrigerator door? Suggestions.

Me and my friend used a paddle bit and it tore it all up.

Ouch. That's strictly a wood bit.

The viable options depend on diameter: for anything below a 1/4 inch diameter, a coated twist bit is the best bet. For 1/4" up to an inch or so a step bit will work well. From an inch on up a bimetal hole saw will be the way to go...

Cheers!

Put down a big chunk of masking tape over the area you plan on drilling, then use a punch to create a dimple so your drill bit doesn't want to walk. Then proceed with a holesaw bit or standard bit depending on size mentioned above.

I used a hole saw from work the first time on their recommendation. Worked, but after that the saw was pretty dull.

Next time I bought a harbor freight step bit. Worked ok. I'm not sure one of the steps is going to be real good for future drilling. I used oil as a lube and got a little bit of galling on the bit.

SS can be hard on your tooling!

Is it stainless steel? If so use a step bit. Harbor freight has them for less then $20. Will work on all other fridge doors to. View attachment 351024

I bought those HF bits, tried using it to drill a hole in my keggle... bit failed before it was even finished drilling the first hole. Save your money and buy a good bit or a good hole saw (i used a spring loaded metal hole saw and it worked great but you need one for each different size)
imag0608-67154.jpg

I bought those HF bits, tried using it to drill a hole in my keggle... bit failed before it was even finished drilling the first hole. Save your money and buy a good bit or a good hole saw (i used a spring loaded metal hole saw and it worked great but you need one for each different size)
imag0608-67154.jpg

Sorry HF step bit didn't work for you. I've used mine several times even on a stainless steel fridge and had no problem. HF products are the luck of the draw. Never had any luck with any of their power tools, most of the time had to take them back and go elsewhere to get one that worked.

Sorry HF step bit didn't work for you. I've used mine several times even on a stainless steel fridge and had no problem. HF products are the luck of the draw. Never had any luck with any of their power tools, most of the time had to take them back and go elsewhere to get one that worked.

Agree completely.... some of their stuff has been great - I use their large low speed drill for my grain crusher and its been great.

But for drilling, I've found I like the whole saws much better

step drills work fine, if you take some effort. Don't use it to drill the initial hole, use a small twist drill to make the starter hole. From there make sure you use some cutting fluid or oil on the bit. Once the bit or the metal get too hot nothing works anymore and you destroy the drill.

step drills work fine, if you take some effort. Don't use it to drill the initial hole, use a small twist drill to make the starter hole. From there make sure you use some cutting fluid or oil on the bit. Once the bit or the metal get too hot nothing works anymore and you destroy the drill.

This. SS requires lots of lube and some force and slower speed.

Back