Building a Brew bench for pump setup (In-progress)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudaJoe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I join comment much on here. I think I joined last year to take advantage of a deal from Inkbird.

This past weekend, I got the itch to upgrade from my gravity setup (which wasnt really a setup... just a collection of objects higher than each other lol).

I still need to buy some pumps, nothing to fancy just needs to have stainless steel housing, im not dealing with plastic ports. I am looking at camlocks for connectors. I still need to punch holes in the keggle as well. I think I need 3 holes. one for the drain port, two for the whirlpooling I plan to do. I will add a temp probe to the drain port.

See attach diagram and pics below for the bench.

Used Excel to map out dimensions of what I was looking for. This is not 100% accurate but close enough
2019-06-04 09_26_49-Microsoft Excel - homebrew bench graph.xlsx.png

Had some lumber precut at Home depot, various lengths.
brewstand 1.jpg

Used the chop saw to match lengeths needed to my blueprint
brewstand 2.jpg

Got the bench framed out
brewstand 3.jpg

Aseembled bench and test fit coolers with kettle
brewstand 5.jpg

Wired up a GFCI circuit for switched and outlets. This is where I am today. I will finish the conduit and wiring the switches this afternoon probably.
brewstand 6.jpg

extension cord 8' wired to a GFCI in a weather proof box + cover. Used a weather proof connector on the end of the conduit.
brewstand 7.jpg

GFCI and lots of foam. This is a dummy outlet being used for the switches and pump outlets.
brewstand 8.jpg

Out let for pumps. wiring goes to switch box up front. Need to build the conduit.
brewstand 9.jpg

future switch box.
brewstand 10.jpg

well just to update you guys. I have finished my setup. Leak tested and for the most part its done, one small leak I gotta fix at the pump.

Attachments

• IMG_1847.JPG
    IMG_1847.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 70
IMG_1860.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1861.JPG
    IMG_1861.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
  • IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
Looks awesome! Can you show some details on that sparge arm?

Looks awesome! Can you show some details on that sparge arm?
Thanks. Sure. I bought it on Amazon from a homebrew supply company "HomebrewStuff" thats out in Idaho I believe. Looks real easy to make actually. It appears the amazon.com vendor no longer sells it online but in-store only purchase. thats a bummer.
https://home-brew-stuff.myshopify.com/collections/brewing-equipment/products/ssa-01

There are other sparge arms out there but prices vary. I think the copper tube ring setup would work fine with a sparge arm mount and adjuster. something like this would be good.
https://www.exchilerator.com/new-sparge-arm/

It is a 1/2" SS tube with two 90 bends, a compression fitting on one end to a 2-piece ball valve. Looks like 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Vinyl tubing as a handle between the bends. The splash plate is SS with little 4mm screws which hold it in place to SS pieces riveted to the plate. There are adjustment screws which hold everything in place. I did however find one fault during my first brew. The little screws holding the plate backed out at a 30 minute sparge and 1 screw was lost in the 25 lbs of grain. Never recovered. Luckily the vendor supplied a new screw. I now have blue loctite threadlocker holding them in place.

Back