Bugs in my airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrlandoHomeBrewer

Reaction score
I made some Apfelwein on 5/13/09 and it is in a 5 gallon carboy with a one piece airlock. Airlock is still bubbling away. I check it every couple of days and it has been looking just fine. I looked at it this morning and there are 8 bugs floating around in the vodka. EIGHT.

The holes in the top of the one piece airlock are tiny. Safe to assume they are fans of Apfelwein and couldn't hold off until I racked it...

There isn't much chance of suck back, so should I remove them? Did they get in there when they were at the micro level?

Thanks for the link. The vodka level is still good. I am just trying to figure out how they got in there. The holes are way too small.

Is it OK to leave the dead bugs floating around in the vodka or should I dump and refill?

i think for the 3/4 oz of vodka you're tossing out, i'd do it. Just incase friends come over and you want to show off. You can get it to suck in just by moving the carboy. Why wouldn't you?

Latest posts

Back