Bugfarm ECY01 Primary Yeast Cake Re-use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadeaunm5

Reaction score
I have 11 gallons of ECY01 in primary fermentation for the extract Lambic recipe that's on here.

Its been in there for about a month and i want to transfer it to some better bottles and pitch some Cantillon Classic Gueze, Allagash Coolship Red and Mikkeller Spontanframboos dregs into 1 Better bottle. Then pitch dreggs from Jolly Pumpkin in the other Better bottle. Then let this sit for 1y+

Anyways..

I want to take the primary yeast cake and use that as the primary yeast for 12 gallons of a Flanders Red recipe that i'm working on. (might not be the best pic for a flanders, but that's what i got!!)

I planned on transferring the cake into large mason jars this week and just dumping some into the Flanders.

How much should i use? I'm pretty sure that i shouldn't just use the whole cake of a carboy since that will be over pitching?

Should i just go off the Mr. Malty pitch rate calculator for a slurry? Or do i need to think of it differently since its a mixed culture?

Thanks

Shouldn't take much... I'd probably take an 8oz jar of slurry. BUT, I'd also pitch some Belgian sacch along with it, as much of your sacch cells will be goners by now. Maybe something simple, like t58.

So you think 8 ounces would be enough for 12 gallons?

You don't think the brett and what's left of the primary yeast will ferment out the beer?

I plan on splitting the batch into 2 6 gallon better bottles and pitching one package of roselaare to each

You don't think the brett and what's left of the primary yeast will ferment out the beer?

I plan on splitting the batch into 2 6 gallon better bottles and pitching one package of roselaare to each

I meant to say be splitting the batches 2 - 6 gallon carboys after primary fermentation

I meant to say I would be splitting the batch into 2 - 6 gallon carboys after primary fermentation and pitching rosealare

It'll certainly ferment out the beer, but you'll get better Brett character if you have a phenolic sacch strain in the mix, kind of like what you had in your original Bugfarm. All about the precursors!

East coast vials are plenty of cells for a 5-6 gallon batch, and consider the volume of slurry in one of those versus an 8oz jar. But better to add some more into each rather than tossing it.

I hear ya, I'm going to throw in some Wyeast Belgian Ardennes along with the Slurry.

Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back