Buffalo sweat clone with 30 lady bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in south west missouri and this time of the year we have a lady bug invasion. While cooling my 5 gallon batch of Buffalo sweat oatmeal stout clone, I noticed about 30 dead floating lady bugs in the wort... I wasn't going to dump the 5 gallons on the ground so I went ahead and pitched the yeast. Anyone else had this many bugs in there cooling wort and had the beer come out not infected? I fished them all out and transfered it to my primary but there is a real good chance there is a few left in the primary. At this point I have zero hope that it won't have a massive nasty infection. The air lock is bubbling good though so the yeasties are farting good.

Ladybug sweat?

I have no advice at this point, but following along for results.

You could have brought the wort back up to a quick boil after you fished the bugs out. Would have had some impact on hop utilization, but relatively minor.

Lady Bug or Asian Beetle? Asian beetles release a nasty smelling "liquid" when they are threatened. The reason there are no predators of these invaders. Have not read anything about this being toxic, but could add some spice to a very light beer.

Do you have any idea when they got into the wort? I would guess that the hotter the wort when they entered the less likely infection becomes. That said, I had a moth kamikaze a completely cooled batch as I was transferring it to the primary and the batch still turned out fine. I would suspect that, in general, you're much more likely to get an infection from hidden unclean areas on equipment than you are from bugs and such joining in on the fun.

I planned on naming it Ladybug sweat actually. Lol. Didn't think about doing another boil till it was too late I wouldnt worry. About the the hops too much.

Do you have any idea when they got into the wort? I would guess that the hotter the wort when they entered the less likely infection becomes. That said, I had a moth kamikaze a completely cooled batch as I was transferring it to the primary and the batch still turned out fine. I would suspect that, in general, you're much more likely to get an infection from hidden unclean areas on equipment than you are from bugs and such joining in on the fun.
I don't know what temp it was. I'd say through out the entire cooling process though.

Lady Bug or Asian Beetle? Asian beetles release a nasty smelling "liquid" when they are threatened. The reason there are no predators of these invaders. Have not read anything about this being toxic, but could add some spice to a very light beer.
Nope just harmless lady bugs. Jap. Beetles have been gone for a while. Fought them with my hops all summer

I'll post an update when. I transfer to secondary to dry hop with vanilla beans then again when I pI'll off mu first pint. I hope it turns out good

I'll post an update when. I transfer to secondary to dry hop with vanilla beans then again when I pI'll off mu first pint. I hope it turns out good

Not the green Japanese Beetles, but the orange Asian Beetles. They are much lighter in color than the red garden ladybug and very prominent in the area this time of year.

Any yes, they exude a nasty funk when they get smushed. Not sure about if they get boiled.

Not the green Japanese Beetles, but the orange Asian Beetles. They are much lighter in color than the red garden ladybug and very prominent in the area this time of year.

Any yes, they exude a nasty funk when they get smushed. Not sure about if they get boiled.
I really didn't pay any attention to the color. Probably both kinds of bugs.

1. Lady bugs taste bad to predators, though this probably won't be a problem if you remove them before bottling. :fro:

2. I'd be more concerned with a bacterial infection. If they were in the boil, it's probably ok. If they landed after it was cooling - you will eventually find out if there is an infection.

3 - you have a GREAT name for your beer! Ladybug Stout :rockin:

This would be one of the very few cases where I'd dump it. Just touching those Asian beetles (not even squishing them) will leave your hands smelling nasty. If I had a beer that tasted like that, I'd hurl.

I'd let it ride, but if there was any buggy hint after fermentation, down the drain it'd go.

This would be one of the very few cases where I'd dump it. Just touching those Asian beetles (not even squishing them) will leave your hands smelling nasty. If I had a beer that tasted like that, I'd hurl.

I'd let it ride, but if there was any buggy hint after fermentation, down the drain it'd go.
If it turns out bad I'm def gonna dump it. I think I might even bottle just two bottles so i don't waste my co2. I've got a bag of carbonation tabs and a thief. I can wait 2 weeks to save myself the co2

1. Lady bugs taste bad to predators, though this probably won't be a problem if you remove them before bottling. :fro:

2. I'd be more concerned with a bacterial infection. If they were in the boil, it's probably ok. If they landed after it was cooling - you will eventually find out if there is an infection.

3 - you have a GREAT name for your beer! Ladybug Stout :rockin:
TheY showed up while cooling. I've had one other infection before. Looks terrible. I have zero hope....

This is the kind of stuff makes me scared to brew outside..kamikaze moth lol!.....i brewed outside once and leaves and stuff were blowing in...i always think of my wife we camp all the time and s..t ends up in the food and im always like damn and she smiles and says it will be better....once camping my cousin got drunk and spillt a whole can beer in green chili and that was different. ..why i always lost....ladybug good luck.....30 of them wheres the f in raid! ! Taste it in ten days ....drink for sure might help you see stuff isnt there....or give as gift to neighbors you dont like

Incase you dont find this amusing no big deal you wont taste bug over everything else i dont think

This is the kind of stuff makes me scared to brew outside..kamikaze moth lol!.....i brewed outside once and leaves and stuff were blowing in...

When I brew outside I do something complex.
I put the lid on my kettle while I'm chilling.
It's not perfect, but I haven't had a problem yet.

How do you get over immersion chiller
This is my problem. I also put a lid on it. But there is a Crack where the chiller comes out. I will sometimes put aluminum foil around the chiller opening. I know you shouldn't cover while cooling because of the nasties in the condensation but better than a **** ton of say...... ladybugs

This is my problem. I also put a lid on it. But there is a Crack where the chiller comes out. I will sometimes put aluminum foil around the chiller opening. I know you shouldn't cover while cooling because of the nasties in the condensation but better than a **** ton of say...... ladybugs

Always better.

I recently acquired 2 $5 pizza pans at the dollar gentral. Added some old cabinet handles from the basement. one is my solid lid and one my notched lid for chilling.

Good luck w your brew.
If you are bottling, and it tastes good and carbed, maybe chill it all and keep it chilled to keep any further funk at bay.

Back