buddy used corn startch instead of corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleasehelp

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the third homebew i've made with a friend. The first two were excellent. This third batch (a Strathcona Pale Ale) is very cloudy and unfortunately I just found out that when bottling, my buddy (in my absence) used corn starch instead of corn sugar. This was 10 days ago. Is there anything I can do to salvage the batch...? Perhaps with an agent or adding the correct sugar now (sucrose or dextrose). The taste is good (within reason).

Please help.

Thanks,

Lmfao.

this **** is too funny. Did he boil the corn starch in water then cool and add to the
Bottling bucket or just sprinkle the startch into The beer?

Not that it matters but I would guess most of it would settle out, infact never even mix in. I would just add the drops as the previous post suggest. Open the
Bottles and drop them
In then recap. You may have weird looking sediment when you pour out your beer but whatever. I still think it will be drinkable.

Buy a rib roast. Roast it to medium rare and remove from pan to rest. Pour in your corn starch beer and make gravy. Then enjoy your rib roast and gravy and maybe some store purchased beer to tide you over to the next batch is ready. You might be able to market the beer gravy fixins and retire the good life................ Wait, reality check. Friends don't let friends mess with your beer till it is done and ready to drink. At least you can make the best of it one roast at a time.

Hi and thank you for the prompt replies. i wonder what the market potential is for (slightly) failed homebrews as i particularly like thé idea of making great gravy... and then selling it.

I did actually crack open one of these brews this evening and hence thé investigation as To thé very cloudy beer. there was some light carbonation but no head. thé drops consist of dextrose and glucose. could i put one tablespoon of sugar and wait a month for the starch to drop (alot of thé other bottles already have a viscous white gunk at thé bottom).

Fortunately, i have another pale ale in thé primary and another one in thé secondary.

Thanks

Hi and thank you for the prompt replies. i wonder what the market potential is for (slightly) failed homebrews as i particularly like thé idea of making great gravy... and then selling it.

I did actually crack open one of these brews this evening and hence thé investigation as To thé very cloudy beer. there was some light carbonation but no head. thé drops consist of dextrose and glucose. could i put one tablespoon of sugar and wait a month for the starch to drop (alot of thé other bottles already have a viscous white gunk at thé bottom).

Fortunately, i have another pale ale in thé primary and another one in thé secondary.

Thanks

I think you could just add sugar... One concern I'd have is the whether the sugar would dissolve quickly enough. Also, the nice thing about the drops is that you can get the proper dose in each bottle. I don't know exactly how much sugar should go in each bottle, but the morebeer site above says that 60 drops equals 250 grams. So each drop should be about 4.2 grams. According to these guys there are 4.2 grams of sugar in a teaspoon (However, I would test this before trusting this link).

If you simply add table sugar just make sure you don't add too much!

Hi,

Thanks you again for the replies. I enjoyed the dubstep video (awesome). The bottles that are starched (for lack of a better term), contain approx. 1 litre of homebrew. Would just under a tablespoon of dextrose per bottle be too much? I am using glass bottles that come with a stopper.

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks you again for the replies. I enjoyed the dubstep video (awesome). The bottles that are starched (for lack of a better term), contain approx. 1 litre of homebrew. Would just under a tablespoon of dextrose per bottle be too much? I am using glass bottles that come with a stopper.

Thanks,

Read my previous post again. A tablespoon would be too much. A teaspoon is more on target. You don't want to end up with bottle bombs.

Back