Corn Sugar vs Flaked Corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTown_Brewmeister

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the brewing scene and I'm looking to make a recipe I've seen for "Cincinnati Cream Ale". In reading about the types of cream ales's it sounds like corn is a big part of the flavor of these creme ales. The recipe I'm planning on using is a "Partial Grain" recipe that suggests using 1 lb of corn sugar. I'm thinking of using Flaked Corn instead. I have two questions:

1) To ensure that the flaked corn "starch" conversion happens correctly, do I need to put it in with the other grain (0.25 lb. CaraPils at 170 F for 30 min)? If not how/ when should I add it to the recipe?

2) Do I use the same amount of flaked corn as corn sugar?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the brewing scene and I'm looking to make a recipe I've seen for "Cincinnati Cream Ale". In reading about the types of cream ales's it sounds like corn is a big part of the flavor of these creme ales. The recipe I'm planning on using is a "Partial Grain" recipe that suggests using 1 lb of corn sugar. I'm thinking of using Flaked Corn instead. I have two questions:

1) To ensure that the flaked corn "starch" conversion happens correctly, do I need to put it in with the other grain (0.25 lb. CaraPils at 170 F for 30 min)? If not how/ when should I add it to the recipe?

2) Do I use the same amount of flaked corn as corn sugar?

Thanks,

Mike

Corn sugar and flaked corn are not the same thing. Corn sugar acts very similarly to cane sugar in beer and will dry your beer out, add alcohol, and add very little flavor. I am not very experienced with flaked corn, but I believe it is corn that has had its starch gelatinized and should only need to be mashed from around 148-160 for a period of time. I cannot remember what flavors it will impart but I believe it will lend that corn quality.

I would bump it up by 25% or so to match the potential of the corn sugar.
As stated above steep around 150 with your other grains and
don't mill the corn with the other grains.
Think about substituting some of your base Malt for 6 row barely as well. The thick husks will give it a grainy character and totally in style.
Maybe for 5 gallons:
3lb DME light
2.5lb 6 row
1.25lb flaked corn
10 grams black Malt for color

OG 1047
FG 1011
SRM 4 ish

Either way definitely use some corn.

Back