Buddy gave me some grains... what should I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulzie

Reaction score
Howdy all, this is my first post ... looking forward to learning a lot from fellow home brewers!

So a buddy of mine bought too much grain awhile back and doesn't have time to brew it.

I have 3 lbs of caramunich, munich, and crystal malt 60L, and 1/2 lb of black patent.

I plan on making an all grain batch, preferably single step mash, since I have an igloo mashtun (5gal).

I will also be breaking in my new keggle and immersion chiller with this batch this weekend.

My first question is, these grains have been cracked already, probably 4-5 months ago, but kept in the fridge, are they still good to use? Or should I feed them to my chickens?

Also, is there a database out there, where you can enter your ingredients and find recipes that work with them?

I know I will need to buy more ingredients, but I hate to waste the ones I have.

So if anybody has a good recipe they would like to share, I would really appreciate it.

I don't have a way to lager yet, so it has to be an ale recipe please. Thanks in advance!

With all the time and effort that goes into brewing, I’d go get new grains. The fridge isn’t a great place to store malt because of water condensation. Cracked malt can last for awhile if it is stored cool and dry, but fresh cracked is your best option (cracked malt oxidizes much faster than whole grains).

If you really want to use them give them a taste and make sure they still taste fresh. Are all the grains mixed together? Is it 3 lbs each of the first three? Certainly looks like it could be a porter with some pale malt and an American or English Ale yeast.

I haven't tried the grains yet. They are all in their own ziplock bags in the fridge crisper and 3lbs of each. I will try them tonight and see if they taste fine.

Latest posts

Back