Buckets with spouts in a swamp cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontdropthebeer

Reaction score
Hi!

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but I'll start here.

I plan to brew up a NEIPA in the next couple of days. I live in the south of France and it's getting warm here, and in my "cave" (basement/garage sort of thing) it's currently about 23c (about 73f).

I will be using London Ale Yeast III which has a higher range of about 72/73f.

I wanted to put the fermenter into a swamp cooler (plastic bin filled with water, and using frozen bottles as needed) but the fermenters I have all have the spout/spigot installed in the bottom. Essentially this:

1654893960409.png

I am wondering if there are any issues with water seeping into it? I can spin the spout so it's facing up or down or sideways or whatever, but if it's tightened enough, will it be safe? Any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

You should be fine . I'd think that if the valve had an issue it would leak your beer out since the pressure will be greater then in the plastic bin. If your worried you could always wrap the valve in saran wrap .

If you slip a piece of vinyl tubing over the spout and fasten it to the top of the bucket it will keep out any water from your swamp cooler and keep in any beer leakage if there is any.

If you slip a piece of vinyl tubing over the spout and fasten it to the top of the bucket it will keep out any water from your swamp cooler and keep in any beer leakage if there is any.
16549309039897804981844485074238.jpg

The spigots I use have a hole in the closed position, besides the spout. If anyone wants to keep water out of these by using tubing, they'll need to make sure the hole is misaligned.

View attachment 771453
The spigots I use have a hole in the closed position, besides the spout. If anyone wants to keep water out of these by using tubing, they'll need to make sure the hole is misaligned.
Check your spigot. It should be a 3 position spigot, on, off, and drain. I'd be tempted to use a piece of tape over that hole just to be sure.

Back