Bucket Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustOfMan

Reaction score
Hello all! I just recently made an extract recipe for a Tripel IPA using BeerSmith and the Hopville tools. I ended up with an OG of 1.096. When pitched with a 2L yeast starter of Wyeast Belgian Ardennes, it wasn't long before it blew off the lid 10 times! It did this even before krausen got into the blow-off tube.

I have the standard 6.5 gallon bucket. My recipe ended up being just over five gallons, before the 2L of yeast starter was added. I would like to do more high gravity brews in the future. How can I prevent this happening in the future? Bigger bucket? Other suggestions? Thanks!

I initially had an airlock in it, but after the first explosion, promptly went with the blow-off tube.

I'm a little confused. The pressure is escaping through the blowoff tube, but it's still blowing the lid off? It sounds like something is clogged...

A 6.5 gallon plastic bucket at 68 degrees. I checked the tube, and it looked free of debris and krausen. If it was krausen clogging the tube, what do I do at that point? If it's shooting up that much krausen, is it just a matter of using a bigger bucket? Do I adjust the size of the recipe for the amount of starter I'm throwing in there?

Duh, I see that now. Need to work on my reading skills.

Yeah, sounds like something is clogged. If the gas has an out, it should relieve that pressure.

How big is the blowoff tube? If you can rig a 1" tube on there you won't even have to worry about any krausen/hops/etc clogging it. If your tube is open, and your bucket is blowing the lid off, you have some very epic fermentation going on. The good news is that you'll be done fermenting pretty soon! :D

Oh, the fermentation was angry without any remorse. I have created a monster, and if tasty, hope to again. Except I hope that I can keep it from popping its top next time...

RM-MN said:
Next time don't put a lid on it. Use some aluminum foil or saran wrap to cover the bucket until the ferment slows.

Wouldn't this allow way too much oxygen into the fermentation?

With smaller blowoff tubes, like you'd probably use for a hole in the lid of a plastic bucket, pinching can be an issue.
If it's a softer, small diameter tube (less than 1"), check to see that it's not collapsing and causing a constriction in the line.

Back