Bubbling speed in half batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverbrew45

Reaction score
I just brewed Sam Calgione's Indian Brown clone, but I made a 2.5 gal batch which I'm fermenting using a 5 gal carboy as a primary. It's not bubbling as rapidly as I'm used to - is this due to the extra headspace or is there another problem going on here? Thanks in advance!

Step away from the fermenter. It's okay. Take a deep breath, relax, and check on it in a week or so.

Bubbling in the airlock only goes slower, or faster, or no different at all, if you watch it. Really its only real use, other then venting the CO2 and not letting air in, is amusement. You can not tell even if it is fermenting. Next time you make a HG beer, try moving the carboy near or at the end of fermentation. You will find the airlock will move again. You did not "wake" up the yeast. You just shook carbonated water. Of course it will come out.

The speed is determined by the release of CO2, the amount of liquid in the lock, the saturation of the liquid in the lock, the saturation of whatever you are fermenting, the ambient temperature and pressure, and the time of the cycle that you caught the yeast in. Really other then the fact the pressure is higher inside the carboy then outside, it can not be used to measure anything.

It should be bubbling at a rate of exactly 1.5 bubbles per second for the first 3 days then it will abruptly and immediately change to 1 bubble per second for the next day, Then again abruptly and immediately change to .80 bubbles per second on days 4 and 5. The curve is not linear. Sorry, I know it would be easier if it was but it's not. Do a search on airlock bubbling to determine fermentation progress for the rest of the rates.:)

Back