Bubbler Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanlee05

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my second batch and I've ran into bubbler problems both times.

About 24 hours into fermentation beer has been getting sucked up into the bubbler. The first time I just cleaned it out and stuck it back in with no problems. With the new batch I didn't catch it as quick and the bubbler was completely sealed when I found it (no CO2 getting out). The lid was buckled a couple inches and I think something would have failed if I'd waited much longer.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this next time?

Thanks

bigger bucket....lol.. Or just get some Anti-foam. Add it in the boil and it should cut down on boil over and help with krausen getting out of control. I used it in my last batch and it helped with the boil over but saw minimal effect with it keeping the krausen down. If you are still having problems with krausen out the airlock I would suggest you make yourself a blow off tube

Thanks for the reply, although I didn't understand most of it. What's Krausen and what does a blow off tube do?

Krausen is the "real" name of that foam that keeps plugging up your airlock. I've never used foam control drops, so I can't speak to that.

Here is a blow off tube: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50456

Here is a picture I stole from Biermuncher's gallery:
7451-RIS_992.jpg

Now, I usually use a bucket for fermentation, so I use a 3 piece airlock and some tubing on it, into a pitcher full of sanitizer. I can't find a picture of that- maybe someone else can.

Makes sense, I should be able to adapt that to my system for tomorrows brew.

Thanks for the help everyone!

You could also do a modified 3 piece airlock blowoff tube with what you have already. If you are using a 3 piece airlock...Do this.

blowoff2.jpg

You have to find a piece of long hose that will fit in the center pipe of your airlock...I had to do it in a pinch and found the the hose I had for my bottling wand almost fit....I put a small slit in it, then I soaked it in hot water for a few minutes to Soften and slid it around the tube...

I also found it is a good idea to cut, saw or break off the little criss crossing piece of plastic at the bottom of the airlock. It works great!

Back