Bru'n Water Liquor pH & Mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Reaction score
The quality of this question may be effected by the lack of sleep I have had over the passed 3 days, and I am probably just missing something obvious because I am terrible at reading directions..BUT...

Is there a place in Bru'n Water that shows what the liquor pH, pre-mash, will be? In other words, the way I understand it is that Bru'n Water gives you an estimated mash pH based off of your grain bill and ion additions...but what if I wanted to be sure my water was right before I stir in my grains? Assuming that when I stir in my grain to mash, it will effect my pH, I want a way to know what the liquor pH should be.

It is important that the liquor have the right proton surfeit (usually) or deficit to bring the mash to the correct pH when liquor and grains are mixed. This implies a particular pH but one usually does not bother to calculate it as it is the protons situation that determines the mash pH. IOW it is sufficient to know the proton deficit but it is not sufficient to know the pH.

Latest posts

Back