Bruery Reserve Society 2014 Allocations/Discussion Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried Roble Blanco alongside Bud Light Lime-A-Rita last night. I think the consensus from pretty much everyone was that the Lime-A-Rita was quite a bit more drinkable; this morning there was at least half the bottle left of Roble but Lime-A-Rita got crushed. Only one person chose RB and she vehemently hates anything lowbrow so I wasn't too surprised with that. Guess The Bruery should just be leave somethings to the big boys.

Geriatric Hipster Club was very mediocre too; at least with Roble it tasted like a shitty margarita but this barely had anything to do with an Old Fashioned. Not sure if I'm going to be buying any more of that. I hate whoever voted for that option and really wish they would have thought it through. I still think Pimm's Cup could have been a winner.

What was the cellar release today? Wanderer, as expected? Totally forgot to look until just now, and whatever it was is gone.

Bruery should do a cask of Black Tuesday with tortilla chips and taco seasoning. Call that **** Taco Tuesday.
tumblr_ngysdylSEs1qcnlq7o1_500.gif

Why is it they do the 12 days of Christmas release and give out all sorts of good stuff to the public at the brewery, but anybody in the Reserve can only get a few of the options online? Didn't we join to get first crack at those beers, by laying down 300 bones to join the club? After you maxed out when they were available earlier in the year, only to see them get sold at the brewery?

Why is it they do the 12 days of Christmas release and give out all sorts of good stuff to the public at the brewery, but anybody in the Reserve can only get a few of the options online? Didn't we join to get first crack at those beers, by laying down 300 bones to join the club? After you maxed out when they were available earlier in the year, only to see them get sold at the brewery?

This is the first time the 12 days stuff has been online and available to members that can't sit outside the doors at noon on a weekday. So it's an improvement in that regard.

I find it a little strange that today's 12 Day's Beer, BA 5 Golden Rings, has a purchase limit of 3 even though we were offered a purchase limit of 1 (or 2 for Hoarders) when it came out last year.

I find it a little strange that today's 12 Day's Beer, BA 5 Golden Rings, has a purchase limit of 3 even though we were offered a purchase limit of 1 (or 2 for Hoarders) when it came out last year.
Couldn't that just be a result of people not buying their shares and the Brewery not offering more after the initial sale?

I think that was a big miss on barrel selection. Does anyone else thing that BA 5 Golden Rings would have at least been cool on paper in a rum barrel? Since they're so on this whole 'mixed drinks as beers' kick. Adjunct it with some coconut or some ****.

I think that was a big miss on barrel selection. Does anyone else thing that BA 5 Golden Rings would have at least been cool on paper in a rum barrel? Since they're so on this whole 'mixed drinks as beers' kick. Adjunct it with some coconut or some ****.

They that for the member party, and it was disgusting. Even more Roofie-Colada

Year in Review:

http://beerpulse.com/2013/09/the-bruery-reserve-society-2014-beer-allocations-revealed-1347/

Well, now that the yr is over, how do you think they did?
More high profile failures than ever before, fewer new standout beers than ever before, and their communication went to absolute ****. Things like Rueuze, Oude Tart, and Melange 3 are still reliably good beers, and Mocha Wednesday was damn good, but it seems like every opportunity they had throughout the year to get some momentum back, they fumbled. RdF and FdR being infected, Mash & Coconut not coming out in bottles (which was easily the best beer they produced this year), the constant delays and eventual cancellation of ****...they just never got to a point where they seemed to be in the driver's seat. Obviously **** happens, but they're supposed to be one of the premier breweries in the region, if not America - they're priced as such - and they spent a year unsuccessfully tracking down QC issues. I know things aren't fixed overnight, but from Ebony & Oak to ***** we're looking at a timeline of 18 months. That's pretty concerning, especially since the whole "they're building Terreux" defense breaks down when you consider that they're NOT moving the clean beer production - if the brewhouse is infected, moving to Terreux doesn't fix it until they trash every clean barrel and basically autoclave their entire brewery.

* And before anyone says maybe **** wasn't infected, they said they'd serve tasters at the brewery, which has still yet to happen. I'm generally a believer in Hanlon's razor, but they've been asked about it several times now and it has continued to not show up. There's gotta be a reason, and it's not because the beer is so awesome that the staff all took it home.

I renewed for next year when I still thought they could turn the year around by ending with a bang and showing that they had a handle on things, but now I'm just hoping they put out enough good beers next year that I won't feel like I wasted the membership fee and opportunity cost of going with HS again.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Per an email from the Bruery, they finally have free tasters of **** at the tasting room. Not sure if they intentionally waited until after Christmas or if it just happened to take two and a half weeks to get the bottles over there, but I'm curious to hear how it is.

Per an email from the Bruery, they finally have free tasters of **** at the tasting room. Not sure if they intentionally waited until after Christmas or if it just happened to take two and a half weeks to get the bottles over there, but I'm curious to hear how it is.

Tastes like ****.

#tooeasy

My question is how can Patrick Rue become a Master Cicerone when the Bruery can't go an entire year without multiple high-profile infections?

Sweet one day only with no advance notice, right in the middle of holiday weekend... how convenient. Though when I originally heard their plan of free tasters I figured it would be something like this and I would miss it anyways.

I love how they suggest that if you like it, you can buy a full pour of it. What the ****. A beer that they disliked how it turned out so much that they pulled bottle sales of it... but hey, if you like bad beer, please continue to give us the money.

You would think that with the gesture of "we're not releasing it because it doesn't meet our standards" that they'd not try to make money off of it on the side like that. At least adjunct that **** so we can have more **** w/ coconut to trade off.

I love how they suggest that if you like it, you can buy a full pour of it. What the ****. A beer that they disliked how it turned out so much that they pulled bottle sales of it... but hey, if you like bad beer, please continue to give us the money.

You would think that with the gesture of "we're not releasing it because it doesn't meet our standards" that they'd not try to make money off of it on the side like that. At least adjunct that **** so we can have more **** w/ coconut to trade off.
Reading between the lines, it's blindingly obvious that there's a latent infection. If it was honestly "not up to standards" in terms of taste, they wouldn't expect people to buy full pours. The fact that they're putting it for sale in full pours but not bottles implies to me that it's infected and they don't want to do another RdF/FdR style release.

Which, do they think that Three Floyds name was the only selling point to that release that they had to sell bottles? I would imagine that doing what? 500-600 for HS and 1,200 -1,500 refunds of $20 would be a major hit to their bank account towards the end of the year, that the simple "keep it cold and drink it sooner rather than later" would be a lot cheaper. But then again, that would be admitting that 18 months into this **** and they're still dealing with potential infections in their beer.

Just curious if it was free **** that people were waiting for. I ask because they had different varieties when i was there over a month ago.

Had a golden orchard last night. Really gross, didn't drink much before dumping. Hopefully the Brett cleans it up.

Befuddlement was pretty good

I got my glass of free ****. I asked for it that way too. May I please have my glass of ****? I got a very full pour. I thought it tasted good. It was still a super-sweet beer, I still don't think I could drink a full bottle of this alone, but maybe come closer than I would with BT.

I also got the refund, but they put the credit on my husband's credit card, which we haven't used for 3 years. :( I don't think that's right, because the Bruery account is in my name and I thought it should be the card that we have currently on file with them.

hey guys. anyone interested in being my trustee for HS? my trustee is dropping out of the societies and won't be getting to the bruery from LA very often. pls have references. ty. ilu.

hey guys. anyone interested in being my trustee for HS? my trustee is dropping out of the societies and won't be getting to the bruery from LA very often. pls have references. ty. ilu.

I might be able to, but I don't make it up frequently. Maybe once every 6 weeks. PM and we can talk more

franch if things don't work out with nanobrew, let me know, I could help you out. I drive by the Bruery on my way to/from work every day plus the guy I've been trustee for this year didn't renew for next year, so they might start to miss me at the pick up room over there.

Trying to remember, for 2014 Reserve society, what bottles did we get in the last 2-3 months that were part of the membership fee?

I'm late to the party, but my guess yes they detected something off and it might get worse with time. If it does in fact get worse after X months, then they stop pouring. If they sell you a bottle then X months later you say "Hey this **** is infected" then it's another PR mess. This way they refunded money, washed their hands of a problem, but then are gaining money back slowly.

Turns out it was indeed a ticking time bomb infection;

Hey all,

My apologies for the lack of clarity in regards to So Happen’s It’s Tuesday. Here’s a little more information on the beer, and why we decided to “release" it in the manner that we did.

We think So Happens It’s Tuesday tastes excellent right now. However, our lab detected microbial instability in the beer after the beer was packaged, but before the scheduled release. The beer is at very high risk of turning sour/funky. Due to this risk, we do not feel comfortable releasing this beer in any to-go format, but we do want to allow as many of our fans the opportunity to try this beer while it’s still as we intended it to taste. By only serving the beer in-house, we are able to refrigerate all bottles, monitor the progress of this beer by regular taste and lab tests, and destroy the beer in the event that it does in fact turn on us.

To be clear, the reason for not releasing So Happens It’s Tuesday is for stability concerns, not because there is a flavor/recipe flaw with the product we’re serving.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Matt Olesh
The Bruery

Still, If they phrased it in the same manner that they did RdF and FdR, I'd still probably max out on my allotment like I did with both of those other ticking time bomb beers.

Simply say "It's going to get infected, drink it sooner and store it cold" and they could have saved themselves $40,000 in refunds.

I doubt you can really say that they washed their hands of a problem. As the new problem that is on their hands is that they've been shying away from admitting that 18+ months later, they're still dealing with infection issues and the lack of clarity and the fact that it seems they brewed the same beer twice (first wave got masked with adjuncts and endless growler fills for months) seems to indicate that they can't deal with making that lower ABV Black Tuesday.

Back