BruControl: Brewery control & automation software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We messed around with this driver and got it working but dumped it because it was slow. We can add it back but I don't know what will happen with other operations when writing to it.
I may tinker with it being standalone, not like I can't switch it back to BC if you get a bug to make it work.... I will crawl the m5 search results in this thread to see any potential differences, and tinker... thanks!

edit - Looks like Pinouts are the same...
1605367404571.png
M5
1605366154752.png

Last edited:
with BruControl.45M.M5STACK.ESP32.W.bin loaded...

no dice with 45N..

I get this once in a while, but not always... sometimes I only get one line to display (it seems to work best if I run the "test text"/"hello World" loop I have in a different script first, stop it, then run this...

[start]
new string fermtemp1
new string fermtemp2
new string fermtemp3
new string CC
CC = "temp data"
display "E8" 0 CC
CC = "2"
display "E8" 0 CC
[loop]
fermtemp1 = "FV1 Temp" DisplayText
fermtemp2 = "FV2 Temp" DisplayText
fermtemp3 = "FV3 Temp" DisplayText
display "E8" 1 fermtemp1
display "E8" 2 fermtemp2
display "E8" 3 fermtemp3
sleep 3000
goto "loop"

1605379840690.png

Attachments

• 1605379978153.png
    1605379978153.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 0
new script resets the variable to "temp data" for a short period then re-writes(you know, per the manual), so I get all three lines every time now, but it still overwrites some digits without clearing:

[start]
new string fermtemp1
new string fermtemp2
new string fermtemp3
new string CC
CC = "temp data"
display "E8" 0 CC
CC = "2"
display "E8" 0 CC
[loop]
display "E8" 1 CC
display "E8" 2 CC
display "E8" 3 CC
display "E8" 1 fermtemp1
display "E8" 2 fermtemp2
display "E8" 3 fermtemp3
sleep 3000
goto "loop"

the communications window is interesting(it sends the suffix):
1605380895177.png

this script seems to work pretty good...

[start]
new string fermtemp1
new string fermtemp2
new string fermtemp3
new string CC
[loop]
CC = "2"
display "E8" 0 CC
CC = "temp data"
display "E8" 0 CC

display "E8" 1 CC
display "E8" 2 CC
display "E8" 3 CC
display "E8" 1 fermtemp1
display "E8" 2 fermtemp2
display "E8" 3 fermtemp3
sleep 3000
goto "loop"

pretty happy with progress today, have temp and Tilt SG reading in rudimentary form... calling it quits and walking to one of the 7 breweries within a 1/4 mile..
wish list? I would like to mirror, rotate 90 degrees, and be able to send the degree symbol, in that order...
1605387003915.png

[start]
new string fermname1
fermname1 = "1 "
new string fermname2
fermname2 = "2 "
new string fermname3
fermname3 = "3 "
new string fermtemp1
new string fermtemp2
new string fermtemp3
new string CC
[loop]
CC = "temp data"
display "E8" 0 CC
CC = "2"
display "E8" 0 CC

display "E8" 1 CC
display "E8" 2 CC
display "E8" 3 CC
fermtemp1 = fermname1 + "FV1 Temp" DisplayText
fermtemp1 = fermtemp1 + " "
fermtemp1 = fermtemp1 + "FV1 Tilt" SG
fermtemp2 = fermname2 + "FV2 Temp" DisplayText
fermtemp2 = fermtemp2 + " "
fermtemp2 = fermtemp2 + "FV2 Tilt" SG
fermtemp3 = fermname3 + "FV3 Temp" DisplayText
fermtemp3 = fermtemp3 + " "
fermtemp3 = fermtemp3 + "FV3 Tilt" SG
display "E8" 1 fermtemp1
display "E8" 2 fermtemp2
display "E8" 3 fermtemp3
sleep 3000
goto "loop"

Sorry, I didn’t see a notice there was a new post to this thread...

Can you be more specific? I don’t know about any issues.
No worries @BrunDog. Basically Digital Outputs aren't responding to the UI on 45O firmware for me, I'll just repost below from last week rather than paraphrase.

Thank you 👍

Hi @BrunDog, sorry for another message today but Digital Output Devices seems to be broken on 45O on my ESP32. I've got v1.1.9 running, and two ESP32s connected, one on 45O and one on 45N. I've added a new device to BruControl port 4 on each to test, state changes work fine on the 45N interface but don't stick on the 45O interface. Setting the device to the LED indicator, red for OFF and green for ON, the "LED" graphic stays grey on 45O. No signal is received by the relay board (it has an indicator light on the board) on the other end of Port 27 on the 45O interface, which was working fine last night on 45N.

Cheers,

Edit: another data point - I've flashed that ESP32 back to 45N and the digital output devices are responding correctly again.

Figured it out... we made changes to 45O to accommodate a protocol change in application v1.1 Build 12, which we didn't actually post. Big duh moment - sorry.

We should be posting Build 13 this week, so will update all the FW's to 45O to match and push it all together.
Good stuff, thank you!

I just ordered a Quadzilla. I am looking for input on how YOU have it wired. It looks like it could treated as One to Four individual Outputs with associated SSRs.

I will likely wire it as One Output, but I have no practical knowledge, so looking for some suggestions.

Also ordered one of the UM-1 with a Grand Central with Ethernet. I had a Mega Version that I had just finished wiring that got done in by my Barn Fire. When doing Valves, It greatly simplifies the wiring, and is actually less $$ than the needed relays or SSRs for a standard interface.

Look at my build thread and you can find a bit of information on the quadzilla there. I think without that element I'd have another kettle and a HERMS setup.

Interesting read. Do I read this correctly? You need a UNO or other Audrino to accept the code and that send the data to you BC Mega?

yes the code specified does not inherently lie within BC... but as mentioned in the post, we probably are better off this way:
Sure it would be great to perhaps integrate this into a controller connected to BC directly and perhaps someday that will be possible. Considering the low cost of these controllers and how I wanted a local display with local tare functionality from that local UI, the separate controllers, lcd displays, and feeding an analog output to the BC controller via the 12-bit MCP4725 DAC works really well. That kind of detail would not be easy within the confines of a BC element for example nor would driving a local display to show the units I want, etc..

Sounds like a great application for my back door data exchange framework I provided instead of sending the data as an analog signal to a Brucontrol enabled board.

Interesting... Atmel ATMega32U4 in a PiZero form factor... not sure if it will get any traction.... but interesting....

https://shop.atmegazero.com/products/atmegazero-header-pins-included

Why in the name of all that is holy would anyone build a new board with that chip? We never supported it because of the limited flash memory it has (same as the UNO). With the ATSAMD21 or 51 available, this makes Zero sense (pun intended). These guys were thinking: CircuitBrains Deluxe - CircuitPython-compatible SAMD51 Module. 8MB of flash memory - endless upgrade path.

For anyone interested in putting together an Arduino Uno based load cell controller with a local LCD display, local tare and calibration functions via the LCD buttons, with an analog output via a 12-bit DAC that can be connected to a controller running a BC firmware, the Arduino sketch in the attached text file will get you there. There are many ways to do things so feel free to make changes as you see fit.
Could you post a Part's List and where you got them?

I am experiencing random disconnects with both my ESP32s on 45N. Seems to be totally random but quite often, from 1-5 times every 10 minutes. It's not related to network/wifi AP or signal and it does not disconnect from wifi just goes offline in BruControl and then reconnects 5-20 secs after. Anyone else seeing this?

Well, this was a learned lesson. My personal dispenser / refrigeration BC controller is a Feather M0 controlling two freezers, and has run without a single hiccup for at least 4 years straight. It has a LiPo battery backup and has survived every which power failure as a result. About a week ago, it started to disconnect here and there. Then today, it d/c’d and didn’t reconnect for about 10 minutes. So I went to take a look and found the LiPo had reached its “service life”. Mind you, it’s in a hot garage and the controller sits on top of the hot freezer, so it’s temp is elevated. Anyway, replaced it and I think (hope) we’re good for another handful of years.
ECC62D55-CBEA-45D4-BB06-105BB6F4E807.jpeg

Last edited:
What solder terminals are used on the RP-3? Need to replace a stripped out terminal

Back