BruControl: Brewery control & automation software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just created the ability to read Tilt (Brewometer) values in the interface. Fairly easily to get into BruControl. Right now this would work with Arduino 101 interfaces but I need to figure out how/if other Bluetooth modules can do it.

Just watched the video. This is a very impressive platform. A question about the program/computer going offline. In the case of fermentation and/or kegerator temperature control goes, will the arduino continue to maintain the temperature setpoint? I'm assuming anything running in a script will not be executed while the windows program is not running, but what types of things will the arduino still be doing until it reconnects with the program?

If the communication between BC and the microcontroller interface is broken (app closed, computer crashes, etc.) the existing state of the I/O will remain consistent. Therefore digital outputs will stay on, duty cycles will continue, and input dependent devices like Hysteresis (used in fermentation or kegerators) or PID's will continue to work and maintain temperature (or whatever they are controlling) indefinitely.

You are correct that anything script related will not continue to update until the communication is restored. The interface (arduino or whatever) will just continue unchanged.

Our original project scope included a plan to compile to run on RPI hardware. As we developed we realized some of the underpinnings would not run under Mono.Net so the path to run under Linux was blocked as far as I know. I know Windows has its challenges but I believe in terms or reliability, it's much better suited to automation control than RPI. BC is meant to be a platform which runs all the time, so a Windows install makes sense from that perspective, but we understand less expensive or other hardware is preferential to many. We hope the upcoming web server inclusion will make it accessible to more hardwares like tablets etc.

As far as native Mac I would have to research it. Thanks for the inquiry!

What version of .net is this using? Could you share what wouldn't run under mono? this intrigues me. Did you look at .Net Core/standard? Open source and created to be cross platform without the need for mono.

/curious .net dev

and, to answer the previous question, Mac OSx requires mono, just like linux, to run .net., so this currently is limited to windows only.

Hi @CulturalNonsense. I presume it will not work due to some of the UI elements we are using. That said, I will test it and report back.

I would like to reiterate the importance of an automation controller being platform reliable. BruControl, which we consider an "automation server" on Windows provides this - we have witnessed high stability so far.

BrunDog, if I hadn't just finished phase one of my rig I'ld be all over BruControl. Looks very well thought out and executed, but would expect nothing less from you.

Wish you all the luck and success in your new adventure.

Thank you sir! Someday when you are ready to go next level, you'll let me know.

In the meantime, enjoy that sweet rig of yours! Make some awesome beer, and be sure to give them cool names like "Suspended AnIPAation" or "Cool Wit Ceramic" - you get the idea.

Sorry Ive been tied up with work lately and about to go on vacation so the brewery hasnt been getting much action, that said Ive had a beer just chilling in a conical at 50 degrees for a couple weeks now I am waiting for kegerator room to transfer and the Brucontrol has been maintaining the temp flawlessly for that time.

No link. PM me with your email and I will forward the spec sheets I have.

No minimums but shipping is expensive if you only buy a couple. I will be ordering a few more so if interested, we can combine.

Let me know when you plan to order. I need to order motorized ball valves.
I would need:

2- three way valves. One is "t-port" other is "L-port"
3- proportional valves for fly sparging & recirculating HLT
5- open/closed
:mug:

Ok, will look to do it in the next week or so.

Are you sure you want a T-port? Motorized valves can only be in two positions, unlike a manual one which can swing all the way around.

What voltage? 12V I assume?

I just created the ability to read Tilt (Brewometer) values in the interface. Fairly easily to get into BruControl. Right now this would work with Arduino 101 interfaces but I need to figure out how/if other Bluetooth modules can do it.

I had never seen these...And they are compatible with BruControl!?!?!! Yes please I'll take two!

Ok, will look to do it in the next week or so.

Are you sure you want a T-port? Motorized valves can only be in two positions, unlike a manual one which can swing all the way around.

What voltage? 12V I assume?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1493346834.908359.jpg

The back bottom pipe comes from my wort pump, the front bottom is from my h20 pump, the top pipe feeds my herms coil. So the current orientation the port is allowing flow from wort pump to herms coil. So the leg of the "T" is facing the case towards the back, i.e. only flow is straight through. If I rotate the valve handle towards me 90* the flow would be h2o pump to herms. This is why I need the "T-port" not sure if I can make this happen with an automated valve or not. These are the only positions that I use this valve in, and it was designed this way specifically for routing of the plumbing.
Not sure if that explanation above is clear or not. In the pic I am 180* around from having all ports open.

I am thinking 12V. What is the best way to get 12V? A 12V din mounted power supply?

I see. Like you noted, technically it is an L port. You are not using one of the T directions, but need the T to accommodate the piping. I understand it. Let me look to see of the T orientation is configurable. As long as you are doing two positions, it should be possible.

Cool. Didn't mean to derail the thread. But its all in prep for full automation with BruControl!!

BTW I just ordered a Tilt! Have you used one? It looks and sounds amazing! I want it just for the logging and for my ability to associate gravities with temperatures while I'm away from fermenting beers.

Hey all,

Wanted to let you know that we have implemented local LCD display into BC. It wasn't in the documentation until now (updated User Manual and new schematic). This might be good for a remote interface where you want to get a glance at some information without consulting the BruControl screen, such as a fermentation controller. Right now a standard 4x20 character display is supported. I will be posting up a "shopping list" shortly and this will be included as an option.

In the meantime, here is an example of it in use. A few months ago, I built this controller to manage my two upright freezers (one is for fermentation and the other for dispensing). It is a pretty simple controller - with a Adafruit Wi-Fi Feather performing control and communication with BC, two mechanical relays for power on/off, fed through a standard duplex outlet (since I live in South FL, I never need to heat my fermenter, but more relays and outlets could be added for heating). The Feather and relays are powered by a 5V switching supply. Overall, the cost of this build was ~$100 in parts. Next steps might be to add a flowmeter to measure beer dispensed to get a sense of how much is left and/or add a high pressure sensor to monitor CO2 pressure left in the tank.

Build steps/pics: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7786009&postcount=230
Added thermistor filter: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7789880&postcount=235

Here is what the monitoring screen for these looks like in case you didn't see it in one of the videos. Note the "hump" in the second to last cooling cycle of the dispenser... this is when the auto-defrost timer kicks on (I didn't disable or bypass it).
BruControl4.png

Hi all,

I had some of these boards made for those who wish to use RTD's with BruControl. RTD options require individual amplifier boards since the impedance and range of RTD probes are low. The amplifier boards simply plug into the headers on the board, so they are easily added or changed. The platform allows for up to 4 RTD's to be integrated and simplifies wiring to the interface via screw terminals.
RTD Board1.jpg

And to continue the theme, here is a 6-pack thermistor board for those who want to use thermistor temperature probes. Thermistors can be very accurate and repeatable and are the sensor types used with some controllers like STC and BCS. This simple board handles the voltage divider and noise filter function needed for thermistors and allows for simple wiring to the interface via screw terminals.
Thermistor Board TF-2.jpg

Hi all,

FYI I have received a few requests for an "Order List"... I just put one up for the MEGA interface (I will do the others shortly). I noted required/optional components, so hopefully it makes sense. Also, please note the source links are Amazon.com affiliate links. If you prefer to order elsewhere, no problem at all - just let me know what you prefer and I will gladly point you in a direction. See brucontrol.com/build/order-lists.

Latest update... just added the ability to use Arduino Yún shields for those who want to connect their interface to BruControl via Wi-Fi or Ethernet and have the simplified network configuration this shield brings! Need to update documentation, etc. but FYI it's available.

Are you planning to support the 7 segment displays that are supported with BCS and brewtroller?

First, let me say I fundamentally disagree with this idea. One of the benefits of a flexible user interface is to have it however YOU want it. No limitations of hardware and no clones! Size, color, location, number, graphics, etc. are for you to decide. Put as many as your want on one screen. Stack, go side by side, or have 30 PID displays on one screen - whatever you want whenever you want it.

Second, and more importantly, a major benefit to a software based system and user interface is expansion/modification, size, and control panel logistics. You can add and remove controls when you like, without drilling or cutting holes. Control boxes can be smaller and mounted remotely or hidden out of the way. The user interface is a computer monitor screen - so size and mounting are flexible and don't take much space. Micro-controller interfaces like the MEGA provide abundant I/O, so if you want to add more devices like elements, sensors, electric valves, etc., you can do so when your desire and budget allow it, then just add the software elements on the screen.

Note we do currently support this 20x4 LCD (see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7786009&postcount=230). We built this in primarily for use with remote controllers like fermenter or kegerator controls, but you can use it in your brewery if you want. We just added these to the Order List.

Now, all that said, if you *really* want a 7-segment display (like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1268), I can add it easily enough. I want to build a solution that you want to use and are happy with!

First, let me say I fundamentally disagree with this idea. One of the benefits of a flexible user interface is to have it however YOU want it. No limitations of hardware and no clones! Size, color, location, number, graphics, etc. are for you to decide. Put as many as your want on one screen. Stack, go side by side, or have 30 PID displays on one screen - whatever you want whenever you want it.

Second, and more importantly, a major benefit to a software based system and user interface is expansion/modification, size, and control panel logistics. You can add and remove controls when you like, without drilling or cutting holes. Control boxes can be smaller and mounted remotely or hidden out of the way. The user interface is a computer monitor screen - so size and mounting are flexible and don't take much space. Micro-controller interfaces like the MEGA provide abundant I/O, so if you want to add more devices like elements, sensors, electric valves, etc., you can do so when your desire and budget allow it, then just add the software elements on the screen.

Note we do currently support this 20x4 LCD (see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7786009&postcount=230). We built this in primarily for use with remote controllers like fermenter or kegerator controls, but you can use it in your brewery if you want. We just added these to the Order List.

Now, all that said, if you *really* want a 7-segment display (like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1268), I can add it easily enough. I want to build a solution that you want to use and are happy with!

The reason I asked is because some of us already have control panels based off of BCS or brewtroller and would like to convert over to this solution as it offers more features and HW support. Additionally some of us brew outdoors. It's already a big enough pain to haul everything out of the garage and setup in the back yard. I'm not going to be moving my desktop outdoors every time I want to brew as well. LCDs can be a pain in the ass to read on a bright sunny day when the sun doesn't hit the screen right. If you don't want to support the 7 segment displays that some of us already have in their panels, then I at least suggest supporting an OLED character display as those do not have the same issues with reading in sunlight.

The reason I asked is because some of us already have control panels based off of BCS or brewtroller and would like to convert over to this solution as it offers more features and HW support. Additionally some of us brew outdoors. It's already a big enough pain to haul everything out of the garage and setup in the back yard. I'm not going to be moving my desktop outdoors every time I want to brew as well. LCDs can be a pain in the ass to read on a bright sunny day when the sun doesn't hit the screen right. If you don't want to support the 7 segment displays that some of us already have in their panels, then I at least suggest supporting an OLED character display as those do not have the same issues with reading in sunlight.

Great points here. It would definitely be a PITA to drag a desktop outside! I suppose it would be better to use a laptop, of if another remote computer were doing the control work, you could use a tablet with screen sharing (this is what I do and it works well - a PC inside runs BC and I used an RDP app on my iPad in the garage). In the next iteration we will have a web interface so that it another display avenue.

You could certainly run with dedicated control hardware, though I think it would hold you back from your brewery's potential. To just display two or three numbers would be limited. Are you saying you do not want to have any screen/monitor at all? How many 7-segment displays do you have?

If you would like to discuss live, PM me and I will reply with my cell.

Great points here. It would definitely be a PITA to drag a desktop outside! I suppose it would be better to use a laptop, of if another remote computer were doing the control work, you could use a tablet with screen sharing (this is what I do and it works well - a PC inside runs BC and I used an RDP app on my iPad in the garage). In the next iteration we will have a web interface so that it another display avenue.

You could certainly run with dedicated control hardware, though I think it would hold you back from your brewery's potential. To just display two or three numbers would be limited. Are you saying you do not want to have any screen/monitor at all? How many 7-segment displays do you have?

If you would like to discuss live, PM me and I will reply with my cell.

I'm looking to convert my panel over as cheap as possible. Having to Buy a tablet or laptop is a deal breaker for me.

I use 4 of the 7 segment displays now to monitor temperatures​ (single I2C bus from the BCS, set to different addresses). I also have a push button to move to next states when it gets to a point where I need to do something. The only thing I'm missing from this would be to see my timers. So the ability to display either times or temperatures would be all that I need. I know my process and have it dialed in so I don't need to see anything other than times and temps. If things don't seem right I can always go into the house and see the full dashboard on the application to diagnose what's going wrong.

The problem I have with the BCS support of these displays is that you can only see temperatures​ and setpoints​. It would be nice to independently​ control what is displayed on the different rows of a single display. For example temperature on top and a timer on the bottom. Or switch to a setpoint instead of a timer.

I think the currently supported 4x20 LCD display might be your best bet. Inexpensive, and 4 lines. I will need to take one outside to see how it does in sunlight to be sure. See some of the possible displays to look at are here: https://www.adafruit.com/category/63_96. The one I am mentioning is PRODUCT ID: 198. There is a 2-line OLED which might be best, but you are limited to two lines.

The LCDs are not autonomous though (whereas for example, the PID aglorithm is). So BruControl needs to run on a computer somewhere. Would you then have BruControl communicate to the interface via WiFi?

I think the currently supported 4x20 LCD display might be your best bet. Inexpensive, and 4 lines. I will need to take one outside to see how it does in sunlight to be sure. See some of the possible displays to look at are here: https://www.adafruit.com/category/63_96. The one I am mentioning is PRODUCT ID: 198. There is a 2-line OLED which might be best, but you are limited to two lines.

The LCDs are not autonomous though (whereas for example, the PID aglorithm is). So BruControl needs to run on a computer somewhere. Would you then have BruControl communicate to the interface via WiFi?

I use Ethernet today with the BCS. I have Ethernet throughout my house and have a switch near my 240v power plug for the control panel, so its not a big deal to run another 20 foot cable out of the house to the control panel.

OK, I understand. You have 4 of the displays that BCS produces already. Issue is I don't have one and I don't see literature available for it as they are likely proprietary, so I don't think we can support it. I2C is a standard bus, but the communication across it is dependent on the device. We could support standard 7 segment displays (like these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/878), but these are not the ones you already have and would require hardware modification to get them to work in the spaces you have, especially because the ones you have are a double-pack.

Hello, Just about to pull the trigger on this software. Your solution looks great and is exactly what I was looking for. Just ordered a couple Feather WIFI boards and the related parts required to control both my Keezer and Ferm chamber. Will work on the brewery after I get these running to my satisfaction. I chose the Feather WIFI boards because my Keezer and Ferm chamber are not close enough to my brewery for me to run cables. Plus the wife probably won't want them running along the baseboards! I have a Win7 PC that runs 24x7 as a headless media server and security camera server, I intend to run BruControl on this computer and VNC or Remote desktop into via my iPad or laptop.

Question 1: I am assuming I will need the advanced version of your software as I will be running more than one controller. Is that correct?

Question 2: If I wish to use PWM to control my pump which pump do you recommend? DC 12v or AC 120v? What's the difference in implementing either of these?

Thanks

Hi @jrstephens65,

Cool! The headless PC will work great. I am using a desktop currently but will move BC to my network PC at somepoint soon. I RDP into mine via laptop, RPi, or tablet and all work well.

If you haven't, please check out threads here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7786009&postcount=230, here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7789880&postcount=235 and here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7832864&postcount=250. These show the Feather based Fermentation / Kegerator controller I built, managed by BC. I used a small 5V power supply, a regular outlet (bridge tab broken), 2 channel relay board, local LCD display, and as you can see, a homemade thermistor board to use the STC probes. If you are going to use thermistors, let me know - I can get you a legit board at cost.

What Feather version do you have? If WINC1500 based, make sure to upgrade their Wi-Fi firmware. Instructions are here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather-m0-wifi-atwinc1500/updating-firmware but I can help if you have any questions or concerns.

Answers below:
1. Yes, you would need the Advanced version, as the Basic version will only communicate via USB.
2. Currently there are two ways to automagically control your pump.

First, for a 12V or 24V DC pump, you can control it via PWM through a MOSFET board (like an SSR but switches DC). @augiedoggy does this with the tan "solar" pumps and he has stated it to be a very successful method. He mentioned the 24V Topsflo pump may not handle PWM well as there is a step-down circuit inside - perhaps he can weigh in here.

Second, for a 120V pump (like a March or Chugger) you can control it via PWM and a proportional valve. I currently do this successfully, though it is probably a more expensive solution than above between the pump ($150) and the valve ($100). I suppose you could control an AC pump via a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD), but this is probably pricey and may not friendly to the pump motors.

So I can't fairly recommend one over the other, but I think you can't go wrong either way. For either of these methods, you can leave it open loop (which works well and fairly consistently), or add a flow sensor to measure exactly how fast the wort/liquid is actually flowing. I do this so my valve operates as a "closed loop", which is important for on-the-fly sparging. Integrating flow sensors is easy. I have used a cheap $15 flow meter for a while with great success.

Please let me know how else I can help. Thanks!

OK, I understand. You have 4 of the displays that BCS produces already. Issue is I don't have one and I don't see literature available for it as they are likely proprietary, so I don't think we can support it. I2C is a standard bus, but the communication across it is dependent on the device. We could support standard 7 segment displays (like these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/878), but these are not the ones you already have and would require hardware modification to get them to work in the spaces you have, especially because the ones you have are a double-pack.

I thought that it might use a basic I2C driver chip, but after looking at the displays I see they have an atmel micro on them so you are correct that we are dealing with proprietary firmware. I wonder if they would be willing to share the register map in hopes of selling more displays.

I thought that it might use a basic I2C driver chip, but after looking at the displays I see they have an atmel micro on them so you are correct that we are dealing with proprietary firmware. I wonder if they would be willing to share the register map in hopes of selling more displays.

I doubt they would want to share anything that would risk selling more controllers, and I would respect that. The LCD would be a better option IMO in that more information can be displayed.

However, I really need to reiterate how much is lost by not using a monitor / BC user interface. Even a cheap monitor and an RPi just for screen sharing would be a worthwhile option for not much $.

First, for a 12V or 24V DC pump, you can control it via PWM through a MOSFET board (like an SSR but switches DC). @augiedoggy does this with the tan "solar" pumps and he has stated it to be a very successful method. He mentioned the 24V Topsflo pump may not handle PWM well as there is a step-down circuit inside - perhaps he can weigh in here.

I am interested in more information regarding the 24V Topsflo, as I have the TD5-A24-2505-P/US-M model, and was thinking about using the MOSFET board to control the output flow instead of using a controllable ball valve. I am still looking into a controllable open/close ball valve(s), just not a flow control ball valve if I can get away with it.

How are you connecting the addon components to the MEGA? It looks like even the standard temp probe DS18B20 requires at least a resistor to be installed. Are you making your own custom boards or using breadboards? This is the area that I need to do more research into.

I was looking at starting with 2 temp probes, one on the output of mash tun, and one on RIMS tube. I was also looking into the flow meter that you use as well.

Thanks!!!

Back