Brown Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hvyme7al

Reaction score
For my next beer I am going to make an adaption of the Northern English Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles and I want to add some Brown Sugar. I have searched the forms and have seen mixed results but I want to add some anyways to experiment. I decided I am going to add half a cup of brown sugar in the boil but what I haven't found through my searches is when is the best time to add it? 60 mins? 30? 15? Post boil? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers!

I sometimes add molasses in some recipes, I prefer to add it to the primary but I could see brown sugar at 15, 10 or even 5 to avoid caramelizing.

Yeah, it seems like there is a good portion of home brewers who add Molasses instead of Brown Sugar. Would you add Molasses to the boil? Primary? I am not sure for Brown Sugar or Molasses whether adding to boil or primary is better. Seems split on the board. My intention is to have a slight bump in ABV and add some sweetness to my Brown Ale.

I add brown sugar at the 45min mark with favorable results, Lagunitas does this with brown sugar as well in brown shugga

I add brown sugar at the 45min mark with favorable results, Lagunitas does this with brown sugar as well in brown shugga

How much do you add? Is 0.5 lb enough to have a background sweetness in your opinion or should I add more?

Back