Brown sugar in my irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasnan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm working on an Irish red brewed with molasses and some dark rum to the bottling bucket to taste. I was wondering about adding some light brown sugar to the bottling bucket as well for carbonation. Do you think this would be too much flavor or redundant flavors? Any success or horror stories using brown sugar?
Slainte!

I used brown sugar as a fermentable in a porter I brewed recently. I didn't really notice any flavor from the brown sugar. It did boost my abv though.

You may also want to be cautious throwing additional fermentable sugars into your bottles. I only keg but I know that the sugars that you add to your bottling bucket should be calculated with precision using a formula that can be found on the site here. If you do not and add too much fermentable sugars then the yeast will over carb the beer and potentially create so much pressure that your bottles could explode (bottle bombs). Very dangerous stuff!

I used dark brown sugar in a weizenbock with poor results - way under-carbed. Light brown sugar might work, but I think that your best bet for continuing to build flavor in priming sugar (and it won't be much flavor) is DME. Make sure that you know the extract potential.

I used to add brown sugar at the end of the boil for my irish red, it does add a bit of molasses character, but it also dries the beer out. I tend to create more fermentable than intended wort anyway, and the molasses flavor without any sweetness associated with it is kind of strange, not bad just a lot different than sticking your finger in some molasses.
i do still use it to prime occasionally, just treat it like table sure as far as figuring out how much to use.

chickens

Back