Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishod89

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew something similar to Moose Drool. Here's what I have so far
hopville . "OTO Brown" American Brown Ale Recipe

Any suggestions? Especially on the yeast, was also thinking of WLP002 or
Wyeast 1098.

Also, just to make sure, the caramel/crystal 80 and chocolate need to be steeped not mashed right?

I was thinking of using a little black patent but it seems like the small amount I would use would make it to dark in color while not adding a ton of flavor. Is that at all accurate?

Also, could I do a late addition with the extract, maybe 2 lbs or so?

Thanks for any help.

With a brown, you can use any American or British variety you want. The two you mention would work just fine, as would 001 (Wye's 1056, US-05), or 005 (slightly drier than 002). Yes, you only need to steep those malts, but a full pound might come out pretty sweet for a typical brown. Patent, in small amounts, will have very little impact on flavor, so I'd skip it (it's a brown, after all, not a black). Have fun!

Not sure if you've seen it but there is a Moose Drool Clone recipe at brew365.com. Also, the brewingnetwork.com did a Moose Drool clone on their Can You Brew It podcasts. You can download the podcast at their website. The segment includes an interview with the head brewer at big sky.

Thanks for the advice. After listening to the podcast, I changed a few things and think I might be ready to pick up ingredients. Feel free to comment further. Thanks again.

Since Moose Drool is an American Brown,, why don't you try a #1056 or #1272. Also, I've found that Cluster hops work great in an American style Brown Ale. Good luck!!!

Back