Brown ale still bubbling after a month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigZern

Reaction score
Ok so I tried making my first brown ale. I added in homemade maple syrup and honey which I heated up to sanitize. A month has gone by and the beer is still bubbling. Also when pulling a sample out with my wine theif when I put the hydrometer in the theif the beer foams almost like its carbonated. I never put the tested samples back. The gravity level is at 1.012 and is staying for the last few days. I tasted it and it seemed a little sour but I could just be in panic mode and thinking its sour when its not. My wife said it tasted fine. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Here's a picture dont know if it helps. White stuff is little bubble clusters

Here

1397600963722.jpg

It's bubbling in the airlock once a minute

Lallemand made the yeast I think. Its the one that came with the english brown ale kit. Not sure what exact strain Fermentation temp is mid to high 60s. Cant find my paper but I think the og was 1.063 around

Probably Nottingham yeast. Is it in primary or secondary fermentation?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Never mind I see its in secondary. If it were me I would bottle.

Won't all that bubbling make bottle bombs. I'm still kind of new to the whole brewing thing. I've been doing back to back beers since Christmas when I got my kit. Usually two at a time. I love it but I'm pretty worried about this one

I doubt it would at 1.012. At most it might ferment a couple more points when you add some priming sugar and stir the yeast up. I doubt that would be enough to bottle bomb. Check the kit sheet and see what the expected FG is.

Kit said 1.011-1.015 but I added 2 pints of maple syrup, cup of honey and a pound of dme. There original og is 1.045-1.049

You started at 1.063 and hit about the FG quoted. I would still expect roughly the same FG with your additions. You should be good to go. The sour lemony taste is probably from the honey. I did a brown ale using honey and a similar yeast and got the same flavor profile. It will fade after a couple weeks. Enjoy!

The gravity level is at 1.012 and is staying for the last few days.

I think it is done based on this. Leave it longer if you like, it won't do any harm, but I don't see any bottle bombs in you future either way.

Thanks everyone. I moved it into my kitchen to settle until tomorrow when I get home from work. Guess I'll give it a go

You started at 1.063 and hit about the FG quoted. I would still expect roughly the same FG with your additions. You should be good to go. The sour lemony taste is probably from the honey. I did a brown ale using honey and a similar yeast and got the same flavor profile. It will fade after a couple weeks. Enjoy!

I also have a beer with lots of honey and the same sour lemony taste but it is a pale ale, does the honey not ferment properly or is this just a by product of extract?

I also have a beer with lots of honey and the same sour lemony taste but it is a pale ale, does the honey not ferment properly or is this just a by product of extract?

My guess is that it has something to do with the pollen that the bee collected when the honey was made. The honey ferments but I'm guessing there is something left over that imparts that flavor like pollen or beeswax. It fades over time as the beer matures.

Back