Brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickfish

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on this brown ale recipe.
9# two row
1# c60
8 oz amber malt
6 oz pale chocolate
4 oz 350L chocolate malt. 18.5 ibu of first gold at 60. Irish ale yeast.

slickfish said:
Looking for feedback on this brown ale recipe.
9# two row
1# c60
8 oz amber malt
6 oz pale chocolate
4 oz 350L chocolate malt. 18.5 ibu of first gold at 60. Irish ale yeast.

Looks similar to mine from this past weekend. I used Maris Otter since mine was an English style though.

IMO, 10 oz of Chocolate is a bit much and might over-power any of the toasty/biscuit flavors you're hoping to get from the Amber.

Also, it's hard to evaluate a recipe when some key information is missing (batch size, yeast, brewhouse efficiency/anticipated gravity, etc).

It will probably be a good beer, but it depends on what you are shooting for. I agree with the other poster who mentioned the chocolate being a bit much. You are probably going to end up with a lot of coffee notes with that amount of chocolate which can be a good thing or bad thing depending on your tastes. I've made a similar recipe in the past and the chocolate malt really dominated the flavor. It was a good beer and many people really liked it, but it wasnt the profile I was going for.

Latest posts

Back