Brown ale, no sediment. Interesting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
I brewed up a delicious Newcastle clone last month. After a hearty, robust and quite stinky fermentation (I used a starter), I let the brew sit for a 3-week primary and bottle condition for another week. The brew came out great, however I can't find a bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I used my everyday yeast, WLP001, so nothing new there. Don't get me wrong, I ain't complainin', I just found it curious. I wonder if using the starter had anything to do with it.

Sounds like your yeast flocculated really well. So you got a tight yeast cake in primary to rack off of. I've gotten close to that before. Rack clear beer,little or no sediment in the bottles. Good job!:mug:

No need for sediment. We have to remember (it's easy to forget) that we're dealing in microscopic fungi here. Even though it looks clear,it's still a living beverage.

I noticed this with my Rochefort clone. Two weeks and zero sediment. It's a big beer at 9% and I just figured it was going to take a lot longer than normal

It carbonated just fine. In fact it was drinkable after 5 days, and even good. I always do a long primary, and always have a moderate amount of sediment. The trappist ale I did in November was quite mucky at the bottom, but maybe that's just the trappist yeast.

Latest posts

Back