Brooklyn Brew Shop's Afternoon Wheat - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Brooklyn Brew Shop's Afternoon Wheat - Tips and Advice

The next beer that I will be brewing is Afternoon Wheat, from Brooklyn Brew Shop:

gmafw_1200.jpg

As with all of my "Tips and Advice" threads, this will be a running account of the experience and the things that I learn during the process.

As usual, I'll start with the particulars:

Informational link: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-mixes/afternoon-wheat-mix

Instructions: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn_Brew_Shop_Afternoon_Wheat_Instructions.pdf

This all-grain, 1-gallon mix is for a beer that incorporates malted barley and wheat; it is described by Brooklyn Brew Shop as "light-bodied and easy-drinking for all-day sipping." At 5%ABV, it sounds just right to me. It uses Palisade hops, which are primarily an aroma hop described as having grassy, apricot and floral characteristics. I like the idea, and think that it should make a good end-of-summer beer, if it is as advertised. The yeast that comes with the kit is a pretty generic, fast acting strain - I think that it is a version of S33 or maybe S05, but please do not quote me on that. I might use that yeast, or I might substitute a half-packet of Bavarian yeast that I have; the beer seems to be an American style wheat beer, but I tend to colour outside the lines a bit, anyway.

Because this mix is not in either of BBS's recipe books, I do not have much in the way of stats; however, according to the website, the OG is 1.051 and the FG is 1.013.

I haven't really thought about adding anything to this beer; I usually like to just brew them straight, so I can see what they are like. Having said that, it occurred to me in the last few minutes that this beer might be interesting if I add a couple of pitted and chopped apricots - or perhaps some wild prairie rose petals - at the end of the boil. Either addition would be seasonal, and would certainly keep things within my usual interest in brewing beers with the local terrior in mind; wild prairie roses have been a common sight all of my life here in Montana, and this time of year is when we see fruit stands selling wonderful, fresh orchard fruits all over the more temperate areas of the state. This is a brand-new idea, and I might not do it; but I am considering it, as of now.

As always, I welcome any comments, suggestions or feedback on this - if anyone is interested, please feel free to chime in, or simply follow along.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

I wasn't able to brew anything this weekend due to a myriad of factors, but will get it done soon.

I haven't yet decided whether to use wild prairie roses, their rose hips or apricots in this beer, but I will use one of them, just to make it interesting.

Here is the finished label that I put together for this beer:

Afternoon%20Wheat%20Label.jpg

That's all for now -

Ron

Well, I am a firm believer in the idea that (almost) everything happens for a reason, and this conviction was underscored yet again today.

Due to various work and home things, I've been dragging my feet in getting this project started. Also, I've been hemming and hawing around about whether to add some wild prairie roses, their rose hips, or some apricots to this beer when I make it. I finally decided to go with apricots; they are a staple in "babushka" cooking - and if there were ever any babushkas around, they can certainly be found in the picture on the label I created. For that and other reasons, the apricot idea just seemed to fit better, so I decided to go with apricots. I've got a recipe for a "Rose-Cheeked" Belgian Blonde, and I can brew that in the spring, but this whole project screams "late summer," and the apricots work perfectly for that.

Having made that decision this morning, I had planned on stopping by the local grocery after work to pick up a couple-three apricots; however, when I got to work, I discovered that a co-worker had brought back some fresh, Montana-grown apricots from his visit to his in-laws in the Flathead Valley in the western half of the state. Perfect!

I'm looking for about 12-ounces of apricots total for this 1-gallon batch, after skinning and pitting, These ones are a bit smaller than the "normal" ones that a person would find at the store, so I'll grab two or three extra, and give it a shot.

As I said - everything happens for a reason! My procrastination led to the best and proper outcome, I think, and I am indeed excited to get this project moving forward.

Ron

I wasn't able to brew last night due to a couple of things that came up, but I did have enough time to peel and pit the apricots that I had.

These apricots were perfectly ripe, very aromatic and quite delicious, but a little on the smallish side. I estimated that I would need 15 of them, and that turned out to be just right. In all, I got just under 13 ounces of apricot "pulp," which is about an ounce more than I was shooting for. I think we'll be in good shape, as far as that goes.

I've seen conflicting advice regarding how to use the apricots (or peaches, for that matter) in the beer. A lot of folks seem to like putting them in a secondary, while others put them in right at the end of the boil. One set of instructions calls for "cooking" them (either adding them earlier to the boil, or baking them in an oven) in order to infuse a "pie"-like tone into the beer, which might be interesting with a wheat beer. Another set of instructions says to add the stone fruits to the fermenter and allow them to sit for a week before even brewing the beer - after that, the fermentation and aging times are extended, supposedly giving a really nice dimension to the fruit additions. Plenty of options, and I am sure that all of them would work successfully, with different qualities and characteristics.

For this first attempt, I'm going to keep it pretty straightforward, adding them right at the end of the boil and into primary, as I don't do a secondary. Since my beers generally take three weeks to ferment, I don't see this as a problem; in addition, I usually give them an extra week after bottling (3 total), plus a week in the refrigerator before sampling, so I am sure that the beer will have plenty of time to age, bringing the apricot into the flavor profile very well - or, at least, that is the hope.

If anyone sees any huge, glaring flaws, please let me know - otherwise, I'll go ahead with this plan.

More as it happens -

Ron

Okay - my co-worker had about 5 of those apricots left, so I took them home and then skinned/pitted them. This gives me a total of 1 pound of apricot for this batch of beer.

Everything is cleaned up and ready for brewing - I'll report as I go.

Ron

Alright - after a slow start due to some unforeseen circumstances, we're into the boil, and things are moving along very well. Both the mash and the sparge were nice and un-eventful; I had no problem keeping the mash temps around 148-150, and the sparge etc. had no spills or catastrophes.

At the hot break, I added the first dose of Palisade hops and set the timer for 45 minutes. I'll add the second addition at 15 minutes, and the third addition - along with the apricot - at knock-out.

The Palisade hops are smelling very wonderful - slightly fruity, mildly floral, and a just bit grassy, precisely as advertised. I think that these hops are going to really contribute to a nice, late-summer wheat beer.

When the boil is over, I'll chill the wort down in an ice bath, then pitch my yeast. As noted in my opening post, I decided to pitch a Bavarian wheat yeast, rather than the generic yeast that comes with the BBS mixes. I don't know if it is the best thing to do, but it will be a good experiment.

Ron

Well, this brew is done, and I am eager to see how it came out.

I am sure that "by the book," I may have added a little too much apricot, and probably the "wrong" yeast, but I'm not terribly worried about it. I remember the other times that I've added fruit (chokecherries, grapefruit zest etc.), and, following the instructions, the flavours were a little too subtle. That will certainly not happen this time - it will either be just right, or little too much. If nothing else, I can let the beer age a bit, and I bet things will even out just fine.

On the same vein, I am sure that using the Bavarian yeast (Mangrove Jack M20) will not result in any disasters. I like what Bavarian yeast does for wheat beers, and any banana, clove or bubble gum accents that manage to manifest themselves should fit the over-all profile well - especially with the apricot. I seem to get better heads on beers brewed with Bavarian yeasts; however, that could be from the wheat itself just as much as the yeast, I am sure.

This is all just a guess at this point, but I am not too concerned. We'll see how this turns out - I am absolutely sure that it will be drinkable; however, if it isn't "wonderful," then at least it will be a learning experience.

I am going to be out of town the next three days - I'll check on the state of fermentation in the morning, and will expect to switch the blow-off tube for the air-lock when I get back on Sunday evening.

That's all for now -

Ron

I looked in this morning, and we're definitely fermenting. Everything looks, smells and sounds exactly as I would expect it to.

I think this beer is off to a good start!

After being gone a few days, I came home to a fermenter that must have really been partying while we were out of the house. Quite a bit of krausen had blown into the vase of sanitiser that I had the end of the blow-off tube stuck into, and there was a pretty good-sized pile of trub on the bottom of the fermenter. By the time we got home, however, things had quieted down quite a bit, so I replaced the blow-off tube with an airlock and set the fermenter toward the back of the closet, there to be left alone until it is time to bottle the beer. It is starting to clear now, and is looking really nice, with a golden, "peachy" colour that reminds me of a beautiful Montana sunset.

The aroma of the beer at this point is really nice - I am definitely catching the wheat and the apricot, along with a slight, subtle sulfury smell that is common at this stage of fermentation, especially with this yeast. This sulfury smell will go away, eventually, but it always provides a few moments of suspense, every time.

I had been worried that a pound of apricot might be too much, but I think it will be fine in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing how this beer turns out and am hoping for some good things. While out of town, I did come across a six-pack of an apricot wheat ale, so I bought it with the intention of using it for comparison with my own.

More as it happens, etc. & c....

Ron

I peeked at the beer this morning, and it was just sitting there, doing its thing, which was to be expected. Unable to resist, I also took a quick sniff and was pretty impressed with what is going on in there.

The marriage between wheat and apricot is appearing to be a good one, so far. I am beginning to have high hopes for this beer, and can't wait to give it a try.

We were out of town for a few days, but I took a look at this when we got home, and things are looking good. The beer seems to be clearing up well and has a beautiful, sun-shiny colour that I really like.

We've got a few days to go until it is "done," by the book - having said that, I'll most likely leave it be until it has been a total of 3 weeks in the fermenter, and then until the weekend, before bottling. I've found no ill effects in doing so, and it will fit my schedule a lot better, considering the things that I have going on right now.

Ron

Just as I was starting to think about bottling this beer, it looks like the fermentation has started up with a vengeance; there is even a new krausen beginning to form on top. I am guessing it is due to the apricot (I used a pound for the gallon of beer), so I will give it another week or so.

Subbing in for this one, I'm a biG wheat fan!! I've had a great apricot-wheat up here in Canada, I'm trying to dig up the name..
It was quite apricot forward, the aroma was something else!!:D Man, if only we could share smells through the internet!

Edit:

Here's the info from LCBO -

Release Date:February 13, 2015
473 mL can
Alcohol/Vol5.0%
Made in:Quebec, Canada
By:Mcauslan Brewing Inc.
Style:Medium & Fruity

Medium amber colour; fragrant apricot, cereal, wheat and floral hop aromas; light to medium bodied and moderately carbonated, with a fruit-driven palate and medium finish.

----------------------------------------
BREWER DESCRIPTION
----------------------------------------
Natural apricot flavour is married to barley and wheat malts to give St-Ambroise Apricot Wheat Ale its uniquely delicious, subtly sweet taste. A natural, delightfully refreshing choice for adventurous palates that appreciate a light ale with a playful twist.

Type
Apricot Wheat Ale
Hops
Willamette, Golding
IBU
Original gravity (Plato)
15.5 (1.063 SG)
Serve
5 °C — 12 °C

Last edited:
Hi, ThatITGuy - sorry to take so long to respond; I saw your post a while ago, but got busy with a couple of other things. Welcome to the thread! :mug:

I put this beer in to cold-crash tonight, which should clear the beer fairly well and compact the sediment onto the bottom of the fermenter. Having said that, it is a wheat beer, so I expect some haziness in the final beer.

I smelled some good apricot aroma and saw some nice colour; I'll bottle it this weekend, and we'll see what we end up with, but it's looking good so far.

After a couple of false starts, I bottled this beer last night. I think it's going to be a very good beer.

Everything went well, and I got 9 bottles out of this batch. I was >>>THIS CLOSE<<< to getting 10 bottles, but was perhaps three ounces short. No worries, I was able to sample what was left over, and was pleasantly surprised.

The beer smelled great - the apricot was present but not over-whelming at all. The wheat is really going to make this one special, I think, and I am glad that I used a Bavarian-style yeast for this as I believe it added some incredible character.

The flavor was great - once again, the wheat and apricot were in great balance, in my opinion. The apricot flavor was just a bit tart, but this is to be expected, as all of the sugar in the apricots had been fermented out, along with the sugars in the malts. I am guessing that the apricot will come forward a bit over time, and really make this an interesting beer.

There were other nice notes thanks to the yeast and the Palisade hops, but this really wasn't a formal tasting session, just my #2 son and I taking a break after bottling. I'll wait until the beer is finished, carbonated and conditioned a bit before commenting further, but what I have experienced so far leads me to believe that my decision to add apricots to this wheat beer was a good one.

Ron

Well, just a day past three weeks, and I just couldn't wait for this beer to condition for an additional week in the refrigerator; besides, wheat beers are best enjoyed young, so I threw caution to the wind and sampled this beer for the first time. I'm finding that I am too busy enjoying and "getting to know" my first sample of each batch, so there aren't too many useful notes here, however....

I loved it!

It looks like it might be a tad bit over-carbed; but then again, it might simply need some time in the refrigerator. Also, I accidentally jostled the beer around a bit before I opened it, so I will reserve judgment. Either way, I don't care too much about that; I've found over time that 10 or 15 minutes in the freezer before opening the bottle will nearly always take care of any slight over-carbonation, so it is no concern.

The beer poured very well, with a fluffy, white head that lingered for a while. I am sure that this is thanks to the wheat and the Bavarian yeast that I elected to try. The colour was exactly as I expected it to be; mildly cloudy with a yellowish-orange tint - a legacy of the apricots that I added, I am sure.

The beer smelled wonderful, with the fruit and Palisade hops at the front supported by a beautifully rich foundation provided by the wheat and other malts. There was probably some character from the yeast, but I can't say for sure at this point.

The taste of the beer was very interesting; once again, the apricots and the hops seemed prominent, in a way that I liked. Keeping in mind that the sweetness from the apricots is largely fermented out, this was something that I really enjoyed. I have tried a couple of other "apricot beers" - including a wheat variety - and found them to be cloyingly sweet. This was not the case here; I got good apricot flavor without a syrupy impression. The mouthfeel was very impressive to me - soft and gentle in a way that really, for me, seemed to make a good beer just a little better. I am guessing that this is also due to the use of the Bavarian yeast, but cannot say for sure.

All-around, I really like this one. I am looking forward to seeing how it develops over time, as I expect the apricot flavor to develop a bit. I'd like to see the malts come forward just a little more; but even if they don't, I am very satisfied with this one.

More later -

Ron

Sounds good, I won an auction for a BBS's Smoked Wheat kit and it should be delivered tomorrow so I'll have to get that brewed up soon.

I'm going to try adding the actual fruit (like you did) instead of just 4oz fruit extract to the next cherry wheat I make and see if that makes the cherry taste/aroma stronger.
Keep us updated with your brewing adventures!

Hey, Tony -

You will definitely like the smoked wheat beer. If you get the chance to use Munich/Bavarian yeast, it really, really works well on that one. I think I used Mangrove Jack's version in mine, but DanStar's should be just as good - maybe better.

The usual recommendation from BBS regarding the addition of fruit is about 1 cup (in most cases) added right in the last minute or so of the boil, or even at knock-out. I have found this method to work well, except for the fact that I would at least double the fruit, as 1 cup seems to be too subtle, in my opinion, although the fruit will be present even at that amount. My reading indicates that up to a pound of fruit can be added. I know that most folks seem to add it during the secondary fermentation, but doing it the way that I did here seems to work for me, and I don't see too much reason to change it.

I finished this batch on New Year's Day, and I have to mark it down as a definite success, especially the way that I prepared it, with Bavarian yeast and apricots added. Everything about it was great!

Afternoon%20Wheat%20with%20Flathead%20Apricots%20-%201JAN17.jpg

As I've mentioned before, my cell phone is either great or terrible when it comes to taking photos; on this particular day, it was pretty bad, as you can see. Having said that, the beer itself was impressive, and I'll be making it - or something very much like it - quite often.

The beer poured a really nice head that was creamy and long-lasting; it provided nice lacing all the way down to the bottom. The beer itself was what I will describe as a nice straw colour, with the "peachiness" that I described before. There was also the typical wheat-beer haze that is to be expected.

The aroma was floral, thanks to the Palisade hops; it was also slightly bready in a nice way. The apricot was represented well and the yeast might have provided a bit of spice; or, it might have just been my imagination.

The mouthfeel was really nice with this beer; it was smooth and refreshing, with a light-to-medium carbonation that I would characterize as just right; as mentioned before, it was soft, it was gentle and it really added to the experience. The apparent over-carbonation from before was gone; I am not sure how, but it backed off to just the right amount, perhaps due to bottle conditioning.

The taste was magnificent, in my opinion. The bready wheat flavor gave a very pleasant maltiness with only the slightest bitterness from the hops, which is something I really liked. The apricot character seemed more developed - still slightly tart but with plenty of actual flavor that went well with the flavor from the hops. What I really enjoyed were the definite hints of clove, spice and probably banana that surely came from the yeast. They provided a lot of extra-special goodness to the beer, and left a very wonderful finish that built on the bit of tartness from the apricots as well as the smooth mouthfeel. This one really turned out well!

In all, I count this one as a definite and resounding success. I shared some of this beer with a co-worker - the one who provided the Flathead-Valley apricots that I used for this beer, and he also enjoyed it very much. I plan to make this beer again, perhaps with a different fruit and/or hops next time; no matter what, I'll continue to use the Bavarian yeast, which really worked well with this.

Back