Broken wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHadack

Crafty
Reaction score
Let's say I have a broken wort chiller and a steaming kettle filled with fresh beer. Typically I chill the wort and funnel it into a glass carboy. Instead, can I drain it into a brew bucket, slap a lid and air lock on it, and let it cool down overnight and then pitch the yeast in the morning? Would this affect anything?

I'm not sure boiling liquids are safe in the bucket (likely not), but I know where boiling liquids are safe: your brew kettle. Just slap a lid on and do a "no chill." Tomorrow drain/siphon the beer to your carboy, aerate and pitch.

Huh. I figured the kettle wouldn't be air-tight. So the speed at which you chill the beer doesn't matter as long as it's not completely exposed to the environment?

Ice bath. It will take longer. Or no chill. If you don't have it in a drafty, dusty environment it would be OK. When the pot cools some you could wrap the lid on with Saran Wrap.

Let's say I have a broken wort chiller and a steaming kettle filled with fresh beer. Typically I chill the wort and funnel it into a glass carboy. Instead, can I drain it into a brew bucket, slap a lid and air lock on it, and let it cool down overnight and then pitch the yeast in the morning? Would this affect anything?

Cover the kettle with a sanitized lid and let cool in the kettle. Moving hot wort can cause hot side aeration, plus if you let hot wort cool in the bucket, it will suck in whatever liquid you have in the airlock as it cools.

Cover the kettle with a sanitized lid and let cool in the kettle. Moving hot wort can cause hot side aeration, plus if you let hot wort cool in the bucket, it will suck in whatever liquid you have in the airlock as it cools.

I'd imagine the steaming action of the wort would sanitize the lid effectively enough, but sanitizing it before lidding-up is a good idea. A lot of people no-chill in their kettles without issue. As long as the lid fits, noting is getting in there. The only consideration is the affect of prolonged heat on you hop additions. Since the wort cools slowly, hops continue to be utilized -- the beer will turn out more a little more bitter than an instantly-cooled batch. If you decide to go with no chill, search it on this forum. There's a lot of great advice on how to modify your recipes etc.

This is called "no chill", and it's a perfectly acceptable method of brewing. Let the beer chill in your kettle, or pour it in to your bucket and let it chill there. Check THIS thread out.

The most noticeable side effect will be increased hop utilization and a loss of hop aroma in your beer. This may or may not be an issue depending on the type of beer brewed and the timing of the hop additions. Your hops will continue to isomerize at above 170-180F.

If your kettle is hot and you lid is sanitized, you are pretty safe. Bacteria falls via gravity.

This is called "no chill", and it's a perfectly acceptable method of brewing. Let the beer chill in your kettle, or pour it in to your bucket and let it chill there......Yes, "it's a perfectly acceptable method of brewing." In the Dolt and Dullard School of Brewing.

Back