Broken wing capper (how to proceed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
Today I was bottling my cider. I was using various bottles coronas Sierra Nevada , Sam Adams and some Stellas. I felt the wing Or catch it when I hold on it a plastic piece snapped off on the side.
I am planning on bottling my first batch of beer next week and I'm not sure how I should proceed.
Seeing as how this is my first batch of beer and I'm unsure if I'm gonna continue on with brewing I do not currently have any intention of buying a table mounted.
However I do not want to find myself bottling next weekend and having the Or break halfway through bottling.
I am tend to toss out the Stella bottle says they seem to have an issue when used with the wing capper.
Should I go up by a second when Her just in case? Is there some type of preventative measures I can take so I don't wind up with no Her and only half my Batch bottled?

The other side should have a similar piece. That piece basically locks the two handles together. I'm not sure if you can use it without that piece or not. Best option is to try bottling a bottle now. If it works, you are fine. If not, buy another wing capper. No need for a table mounted one. Most people use wing cappers.

And what the hell are you saying here lol "Should I go up by a second when Her just in case? Is there some type of preventative measures I can take so I don't wind up with no Her and only half my Batch bottled?"

Try capping a couple of empty bottles with the "broken" capper. The missing piece may not be critical to proper operation. If you don't want to get a new one now, you might be able to get thru a batch without too many problems. If you plan to continue brewing, I would get a new capper.

Brew on :mug:

And what the hell are you saying here lol "Should I go up by a second when Her just in case? Is there some type of preventative measures I can take so I don't wind up with no Her and only half my Batch bottled?"

I was trying to ask if I should be prepared and have a second Her just in case the first one breaks while bottling!
However the above is a perfect example of what happens when you use text to talk and your eight-year-old is standing behind you talking to you at the same time

Looks like it might still work. Have you tried it? Does this piece of plastic stop you from closing the capper too much? Don't use mine much anymore.

I have a backup just in case. Be aware that some bottles are not compatible with the wing capper. I can tell just by looking at them but, you kind of have to figure out for yourself. You end up with a broken capper or a shattered bottle. I'm going 3 years on my original.

mine broke in the same place the first time I used it...used it on 2 batches after that and still have it for a back up... just in case the pressure was uneven, I applied the cap and then rotated the bottle 90* and pulled the handles down again...just to be sure it was sealed.

Just ordered a back up one today, Midwest had them on clearance for $5.05.
$4.99 flat shipping right now too

In my opinion these cappers are junk. I gave up and built pnuematic

image.jpg

Crappy manufacturing all abound.

I like the metal wing cappers way better. Or get a bench capper.

Grind the leftover piece flush with the base and glue a piece of plastic or metal (aluminium) of the right size on there. It is a stop, just to prevent the legs from closing too far. It may work fine as is until the other side pops off.

Back