Broken Vine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdail87

Reaction score
So this is my first time growing hops, and I've ran into a strange predicament.

I've got 3 varieties growing, and all of em have been doing pretty well. My Nuggets got attacked by some pests, didn't think it was anything major, mostly just small holes in the leaves.

Then I discovered the vine itself got damaged, and broke off. I left it for a few days, it started turning brown, brittle, and frayed. I tried breaking if off cleaning in hopes it would start regrowing.

Now about a week later, the damaged vine is sending off new branches. None of my others are doing this, and really shouldn't be at this point. The end of the vine doesn't look likes repairing itself either. Has anyone had this happen before?

20140610_073426.jpg

That is what they do when the main bine breaks, the two offshoots are now two new main bines, congrats!

Okay, awesome. Thanks guys! While I was pretty sure it would be fine, I worry about my babies =P

Hey guys, quick follow up on this. The end of the bine actually wound up healing and is back to growing normally.

Question is, should I keep the off shoots? Or prune them off to encourage the main bine to grow?

I personally would just leave it and let the root grow nice and strog for the coming years.

Thanks again, guys. My thoughts were similar on leaving the offshoots, but wanted to check before I let em go. Afterall, what's a homebrewer without his paranoia?

Also, @northcal. The garden is pretty well protected from snails/slugs. We fertilize with used coffee grounds regularly, which keeps them away. Mostly we're fighting off aphids and a small grasshoppers. Not sure who/what broke the vine. Could have been the result of some heavy storms that week too.

Back