Broken Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdubbs

Reaction score
Anyone ever bust a thermometer in your pot just as it's finally at the temp to pitch the yeast?! Son of a B!

No, but I don't use glass thermometers for that exact reason... There was also a post of someone who did that about 2 weeks ago... The general consensus is to screen it when you transfer to the fermenter... If anything makes it through, it will sink and stay back with the yeast cake...

When I am brewing with my buddy he always uses an instant read thermometer. I have the same one for smoking meat and they rock! But like he said for brewing you might want to make sure you have the splash proof one.

Oh yea, if it's mercury, dump it... sorry to say... Since they haven't made a mercury thermometer in at least 15 to 20 years, I would think you are ok... just give it some extra care to avoid swallowing broken glass...

I only use my lab thermometers for the mash and to check when the wort is getting close to boil. Otherwise I use an infared themometer to check temps for everything else (measures surface temp so keep that in mind). If I'm feeling lazy, I'll just touch the side of the kettle and feel how hot it is.

I almost lost it when that happened. I just sat there and stared at it... The glass an layer of what I think are weights made it into the batch. I screened the pour into the pri and caught most of it (I think). Like you said, The rest hopefully just sits in the cake. The red stuff was still in the inside glass portion thingy.

Good times! Learning from small mistakes every batch!

Latest posts

Back