Broken Northernbrewer Magic Siphon--Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve68

Reaction score
After using it for 2 batches, my Magic Siphon "came apart". There's a foot that was glued to the long end of the cane that goes inside the tube. The tube sealing gasket is attached on the foot. The end of the cane evidently had only a smidgen of glue holding it inside the foot. I managed to get the cane into the foot, which seemed like a decent snug fit. However, when I attempted to rack, it entrained air into the cane and up and out the hose with the beer--not good!

What kind of food grade glue can I use to properly attach the foot and provide a good seal to prevent air introduction? Thanks.

FDA-Bond 16 Medical Grade Epoxy Adhesive, Two Part For Food Processing & Medical Equipment
Epoxy International
Link: http://a.co/bgFrMWC

$9 for a single use seems excessive to me but this stuff will work. It is food grade, good from -70 to 145 C, and chemical resistant. You might find something cheaper in the aquarium section of your local pet store though.

^ Not sure epoxy will bond to acrylic.

Use Crazy Glue/Super Glue? The exposed time to wort or beer is minimal. 3 tubes for $1 in the dollar store. Even some hobby plastic glues may work.

After using it for 2 batches, my Magic Siphon "came apart". There's a foot that was glued to the long end of the cane that goes inside the tube. The tube sealing gasket is attached on the foot. The end of the cane evidently had only a smidgen of glue holding it inside the foot. I managed to get the cane into the foot, which seemed like a decent snug fit. However, when I attempted to rack, it entrained air into the cane and up and out the hose with the beer--not good!

What kind of food grade glue can I use to properly attach the foot and provide a good seal to prevent air introduction? Thanks.

Call Northern Brewer. They will most likely replace it no questions asked.

I contacted Northern Brewer via email. He said to use silicone sealant. Also, they would replace it within the first year if their stuff fails. I'll try the silicone and go from there. Thanks for your ideas. I appreciate having this forum. I've learned a lot from reading the different threads. Again, thanks.

Back