Broken keg post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalmah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea how this happened but somehow the gas post became cross threaded or otherwise stuck on the threads of my Draft Brewer keg. I had no options but to try and crank it off with a ratchet and socket. Of course the threaded post snapped off of the keg instead. Does anybody know if this can be soldered/welded on or salvaged in some way? I suppose I would have to get my hands on replacement parts as well if I can't get them separated. I could try vise grips but at the risk of doing more damage. It's a pricey and otherwise good keg. I would hate to have to toss it.

WP_20160727_001.jpg

WP_20160727_002.jpg

Know anyone with mad ss tig skillz that could fix that for a tasty growler of your best beer?

Otherwise, I'd fear the cost of repair would outweigh the cost of outright replacement...

Cheers!

Its toast.
This happened to me once on a new keg, the seller sent me a replacement. Stainless threads can be a pain, so often galled.
Side note, he was wondering why I was trying to remove the post!!! Said nobody does it nor is it necessary...

Its toast.
This happened to me once on a new keg, the seller sent me a replacement. Stainless threads can be a pain, so often galled.
Side note, he was wondering why I was trying to remove the post!!! Said nobody does it nor is it necessary...

Agree with the keg is toast. He'll spend more trying to fix it only to find there is an issue like a leak later on. Cut your losses now.

I bought several used soda ball lock kegs and the seller said don't bother to take the posts off. Bunk. First thing I did was replace the 5 seals on each keg. My question....if they are so adamant about never taking the post off, why are so many dip tube o rings sold??

I am with ya' 100%.

Fill it with dirt and plant some hops. If you make friends with a welder down the road you can bring it back to life. If not, you have hops.

I guess you'd have to drill some holes in the bottom too, but that's okay. You're future new welder friend is a good guy.

Thanks for the advice and replacement part link. I'll try it. By "silver solder", do you mean the basic lead-free silver alloy solder, or something else?

I have no idea how this happened but somehow the gas post became cross threaded or otherwise stuck on the threads of my Draft Brewer keg. I had no options but to try and crank it off with a ratchet and socket. Of course the threaded post snapped off of the keg instead. Does anybody know if this can be soldered/welded on or salvaged in some way? I suppose I would have to get my hands on replacement parts as well if I can't get them separated. I could try vise grips but at the risk of doing more damage. It's a pricey and otherwise good keg. I would hate to have to toss it.

how did you end up getting the post unscrewed? Did you just try vice grips?

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but you could always use it as a fermenter instead of tossing it! Rig up a blow off tube or some type of bung for the post hole and you are good to go. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back