Broke my floating thermometer, replacement suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrew

Reaction score
As the title states, broke it when I was cooling my Belgian wit. It was alcohol thermometer, so i decided to siphon out of the kettle and move to the fermenter. I figured what do I have to lose at this point other then a packet of t58 yeast, even if I siphon off only half the carboy, it's better then nothing.

So on with the question, I'm a newb, I've done about 10 batches now, and I started immediately with all grain BIAB.

I like the brewmometer in the kettle, but I worry the probe will tear my bag, plus I don't know if I'm ready to drill my kettle yet.

I like the idea of a thermocouple, since I could drop the thermocouple in, close the lid and have a digital readout while mashing, but I've read there not always so reliable and accurate.

The thermapen I know is well liked and I can use it for cooking as well, but I would prefer something that I could leave in the kettle.

A pid and rtd setup sounds like it could work, but I don't really know where to begin with setting one up.

I might do an electric brewing system one day, so that would make the pid useful, but that's still far away.

I guess I could just go with a dial thermometer too.

Any advice?
Thank you all.

I see the probe says lifetime replacement, Have you had any issues? I did use a baking thermometer, with my floating thermometer. It was very useful but it started reading incorrectly after 2 batches, assuming due to a non waterproof probe.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably go this route, but I'm still a little interested in the pid and rtd setup, anyone have any info on Using one just for temp readings?

I used one similar to THIS practically around the clock for 4 years before it started going wacky. I used it to measure mash, sparge, pitch, and fermentation temps in addition to BBQ and Thanksgiving turkey duty.

I bought the orange unit and an Inkbird (for fermentation) to replace it and have been very happy so far. The new one has a steel-wrapped cord so it doesn't get burned by the oven door like the last one. I also like being able to carry the monitor with me so I don't have to babysit so closely.

Back