British Pale Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
So I have some "extra ingredients" that I feel like using, so I thought I'd make a bastard brew. I've got a pilsner I am bottling this weekend, so I can pitch the slurry (half is going in to a schwarzbier I am brewing saturday and half this BPL). I also have a couple of types of british hops sitting in my freezer that I've been wanting to use so I figure for $12 worth of grain, why not?

So any thoughts or suggests are welcome, but here is what I was thinking

British Pale Lager 2.75 Gallon batch
5lbs Golden Promise
.5lb Brown malt
.25lb Crystal 80L
Mash 155F
Bramling Cross .5oz 7.2% AA 60min
Bramling Cross .25oz 7.2% AA 10min
Bramling Cross .25oz 7.2% AA 3min
WLP830 pitched from slurry
ferment at 50F

Its a little on the "dark side", but more or less what I think I am going for. Thoughts/ideas?

1.057OG, 1.014FG, 5.6% ABV, 13SRM, 31IBU

I would drop the Brown Malt and probably reduce the crystal too. What about using 2.5lb Pilsner Malt and 3lb Golden Promise? I'd drop the IBUs slightly, maybe adding 1/2oz at 60m and the other 1/2oz at flameout. In general getting it closer to your pale lager title...

I agree about dropping the brown malt, personally, but if you like it go ahead. I don't think the crystal is a problem- there's so little of it it's not going to give you a ton of sweetness or body that's out of place.

Okay, thanks all. I think what I am going to do is this
5.25lbs golden promise, 1/4lb crystal 80l and 1/4lb amber (I want just a hint of roast in there, but light in color). I may also do the half an ounce of Bramling 3 minutes before flame out to drop the IBUs a hint, but maintain some of the aroma.

I've totally wanted to do something like this for a long time, just haven't gotten around to it yet!

My plan was to use 90-95% Golden Promise, 5-10% light/medium British crystal, and to hop it like a BoPils but with EKG. 1.050 OG, and WLP830 would probably be great.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Just got all the ingredients for this, a Schwarzbier, RIS and Belgian single at my LHBS at lunch. While the family is away, daddy will play...

4 batches, 2 days, totally doable. My liver may not be happy with me (between all of the beers I am required to drink while brewing and then all of the beer I'll need to relax and take a load off after 7-8hrs of straight brewing each day...I'll probably clear most of a 12 pack by the end of the weekend).

Back