British Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoB Lever

Reaction score
I just read an article on the top 10 British Lagers. Is there a traditional British Lager yeast?

Never really thought of it before reading this article.

I don't recall ever reading of a true bottom fermenting Lager Yeast being developed in the UK. Nottingham fermented at about 54-55 degrees F. would likely fit the bill rather nicely though.

True, as I said it just prompted the question of if there was such a thing of a British lager yeast.

Tbh they are mostly crap and i guarantee you none are a British lager strain. Thornbridge and brewdog are fine. Better is the easy livin pils by tempest.
Really it's just a dumb article about nothing. But then you wouldn't expect a newspaper to know much about brewing i suppose

I just read an article on the top 10 British Lagers. Is there a traditional British Lager yeast?

I don't think so. The beers in that article all look like modern brews. My guess is they're using traditional lager strains for the particular style.

I know this is an old thread but look on Ron Pattison blog his series about British Lagers, British brewers used the same yeast of Carlsberg for their lagers, there is an exception of Whitbread, they brewed a lager with an ale yeast.

I know this is an old thread but look on Ron Pattison blog his series about British Lagers, British brewers used the same yeast of Carlsberg for their lagers, there is an exception of Whitbread, they brewed a lager with an ale yeast.
I believe that's called "brewing an ale and then lying about it". :rolleyes:

I've commented on this over on the warm lager thread, but the short version is that there's plenty of good lager being made in Britain, but no lager of Britain, so there's no British lager yeast as such.

I wouldn't get too precious about the definition of lager, the boundaries get very fuzzy once you start to look at them closely. There's some commercial lagers being made with members of the saison yeast family.

I've commented on this over on the warm lager thread, but the short version is that there's plenty of good lager being made in Britain, but no lager of Britain, so there's no British lager yeast as such.

I wouldn't get too precious about the definition of lager, the boundaries get very fuzzy once you start to look at them closely. There's some commercial lagers being made with members of the saison yeast family.

I agree!, what yeasts are used for lagers that are members of the saison yeast family?.

I agree!, what yeasts are used for lagers that are members of the saison yeast family?.

We don't know, they were encoded for the Gallone et al paper that sequenced the DNA of a bunch of yeasts. They've released names for some of the homebrew yeasts but not for any of the commercial beers.

But they're probably not standard saison types, they're probably POF- (non phenolic) members of the family so rather atypical.

And here's another clone, looks like an "IPL" no yeast indicated:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/659535/camden-hells-lager

Doesn't look like Hells, which as the name suggests is a pretty conventional lager with 100% pilsner, Perle & Tradition. It looks more like a session version of their IPL, Show Off. They use "Bavarian Lager Yeast" so perhaps something like Wyeast 2206.

Back