Bringing back wine from Europe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
I'm traveling to Portugal and Spain next week and have lots of request for olives and wine. Anyone have tips?

x2 on declaring anything. The following is from CBP regarding wine:

"Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the port of entry.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject to duty and federal excise tax when accompanying you into the United States. Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only as actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

It is not legal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.

Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change, and if this is a matter of utmost importance to you, you can check with the state Alcohol Beverage Control Board where you will be arriving to find out what their policies are.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less.

NOTE: The above information is applicable to homemade wine and follows the same procedure as store bought wine. The bottles should be properly labeled."

I got stopped at the border for being over the personal limit of spirits. I had to go in and pay the fine/tax. I believe it was $2.85/liter, which still worked out to be cheaper than I could buy in the states. I was more than a little nervous, when I was walking into the customs building to pay the fine for being in possession of too much duty free liquor. I was only 19 at the time. They did not seem to have a problem charging me for liquor I was not legally old enough to posses. So I decided it best not to make a issue of it and quickly paid cash.

Port is something I'm bringing back. My father loves the stuff.

Now. Getting a buzz on the plane.
Small bottle of mouth wash with a few drops of food coloring in gin?
I don't like flying.

Port is something I'm bringing back. My father loves the stuff.

Now. Getting a buzz on the plane.
Small bottle of mouth wash with a few drops of food coloring in gin?
I don't like flying.

You can get a gin tonic or 6 on the plane. Unless you're flying Lufthansa, which only offers beer and wine anymore.

Carrying bottles of alcohol on international flights is a real pain in the ass. Almost anything that can be bought there can also be bought in the US.

Latest posts

Back