Brined Calves Tongue Sandwiches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Word.

Tongue 1.jpg

Tongue 2.jpg

tongue 3.jpg

Can I like it more than once! I need to put a special order with the butcher. Growing up my mother would serve tongue regularly.
What did you brine it in?

We don't brine. Pressure cook the tongue in water, bay leafs, peppercorns and salt. Pressure cook for an hour or so (pressure cooker is fast!). Peel the tongue, chop, make a rue add the pressure cooker broth and the tongue. We always add mushrooms but one could add potatoes and such.

That would be considered a delicacy in my area. As in, "WTF??" LOL!

But it still looks good. I don't even have the beer munchies and I think I want to try that. I'm pretty sure I saw beef tongue at the store. Yeah, it was in their, "WTF" section.

Low carb option would be nice, but Melana's sourdough starter has ruined my no bread diet! Maybe I will cheat just a bit more and make up for it by actually going to the gym we pay good money for.

But it still looks good. I don't even have the beer munchies and I think I want to try that. I'm pretty sure I saw beef tongue at the store. Yeah, it was in their, "WTF" section.

Low carb option would be nice, but Melana's sourdough starter has ruined my no bread diet! Maybe I will cheat just a bit more and make up for it by actually going to the gym we pay good money for.

I can give you a few pointers if you buy one from the store/butcher.

If you do a video for "using CreamyGoodness's recipe" I think it would be the most awesome thing since... any other awesome thing that came before.

Darn it! Went grocery shopping on Saturday when we took the kid back to college and I completely forgot to look for tongue!

I'm pretty sure I saw it at Meijer. Hopefully I will remember to look for it next time. I will have to hide the purchase from the family until they get a taste of it. I think it will be a great shock to them when they find out what it was they ate.

Creamy, what do you pay for tongue? I was in a H mart today picking something else up so I took a look $7.49! Couldn't pull the trigger at that price.

Creamy, what do you pay for tongue? I was in a H mart today picking something else up so I took a look $7.49! Couldn't pull the trigger at that price.

That sounds about right to be honest. Unfortunate side effect of you chef types making good food popular again...

Do you have a likeminded buddy? Often with a food "project" I will go halves with an adventurous friend...

Not to brag, but here in Queens I can get beef or calves tongue, liver, kidneys, heart, and brains at 4am on Christmas. And its a block and a half away ;)

Grew up in Brooklyn (Canarsie) and a Sunday treat was sliced beef tongue, kale and mashed potatoes.

We could always tell when my mother was making kidneys the minute we walked into the house..LOL:)

bosco

It's not the money, it's the principal. I grew up eating this because it was cheap. I been looking at oxtails, $5 and change, these where undesirable cuts.

So true. Pork ribs, chicken wings, tails, kidneys, hearts, shanks and a few more current delicacies were considered cheap meats, almost waste and were one step away from going to the Van Iderstine fat rendering factory.. Wow did that truck stink.:p

bosco

I just found a taqueria up here that has beef tongue on the menu! My Wife and Kids won't let me have it home (I have when their away). I'm with a couple others here, these were the types of cuts we grew up on because they were cheap and even undesireable to many. Of course for some of us, it simply a way to use the whole animal when we butchered. I love me some tongue, organs, shanks, necks and tails!
Good thread and photos Creamy, Thanks!

I think I just figured out my first cook for the tongue, Corned beef tongue Reubens! I have a batch of homemade sauerkraut going.
Some fresh rye, need to figure out a sauce, I'm hungry!
http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2012/04/how-to-make-corned-beef-tongue/

I use the same (just about) brine when I do my briskets, however I keep them in the brine for 2 weeks. No (salt peter) pink salt = gray meat...with pink salt you get a nice color. I am off tomorrow to order a beef tongue from my butcher.

We used to get our hot (steamed) corned beef and pastrami sandwiches with a nice hefty topping of slightly spicy, slightly sweet cole slaw. A great combination for me. A really well made caraway rye is also very important.

bosco

I'm not sure how many of you guys have ever hung out at a cattle ranch, or dairy farm. But I just wanted to let you know that cows tongues are pretty long. They often use them to relieve any blockages from their nasal passages. Can you touch your nose with your tongue? Cows can, and much, much more. 8D

i'm sorry?

No go on the tongue at Meijers. I KNOW I've seen it there before, but they sometimes have odd stuff like that, or you have to ask for it, special. I know a few places I can check, but it will probably be a "when I get around to it" kind of thing, and it might wait until I get my smoker back out when it warms up. The col air and brisk breeze makes my smoker unusable.

Do a web search for meat markets.... They are sometimes hard to find but they are invaluable

You are suggesting I type MEAT MARKET into a google search?? I am afraid of what I might find!

That is a good point, though. There is a Meat Market in the town by us, and I know of several others that aren't too far away. The one near to us is fairly high priced, and I wasn't impressed by the quality of the meat or cuts before. To be honest, the local grocery store has had some of the best meat and very good prices, but I don't think they carry tongue. I can see if they can get it.

If not, then Snyder's Market might be the answer.

Back