Brewzilla 65L Wort Chilling During Winter Ideas???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowayankees

Reaction score
I use my Brewzilla 65L outside with an 208v extension cord. I chill the wort using a CFC or immersion coil attached to the exterior hose bib and drain into the lawn or water barrels for the wires flowers and garden.
Living in the midwest and entering into the winter I turn off and disconnect my hoses and not use the exterior bibs to mitigate freezing. Looking for ideas on how I can safely chill the wort inside? I have brewed using BIAB in the garage and chilled using ice in the bathtub with much success.
Do I drain the wort into a sanitized kettle and carry to the bathtub? Can I drain the hot wort into a carboy and carry that to the bathtub? Other ideas? Connect on to the bathroom faucet and run water into the bathtub?

I actually use a closed loop system to chill with my immersion chiller. I have a 6g bucket full of ice and water with a fountain/pond pump in the bottom of it. I connect the pump to the immersion chiller in, and the immersion chiller out goes back into the bucket. I just turn the pump on and let it do it's thing. Works great, chills 5gal of wort in about 7 minutes, and I only use 5-6 gallons of water. If ice is an issue, I've recently started to keep my LME bottles and have been filling and freezing those to put in the bucket. I then used the now warm water to mix with some PBW and do any cleaning I need to do like a keg that just kicked or a fermenter that just finished.

I am about to switch to that method (closed loop) since I will have the setup to do the same type thing for fermentation temp control after Christmas.
Currently, I just move the kettle next to a window and use the garden hose method by hanging the chiller hoses out the window.

Last edited:
Back