BrewTroller to BruControl conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this system from a friend, it was an older BrewTroller setup. I couldn't get a SW/HW combo that was current to run, so I ended up swapping out the boards and going to a BruControl config.

It was a 10 gal RIMS system, but I like to fly sparge plus I wanted to be able to do 10 gal batches of big beers, so for the moment I'm using a gas fired HLT along with the RIMS tube and a counter flow chiller to control mash temp. It's not great, I want to move the RIMS circuit to the HLT and use a HERMS coil.

I use a grain bag in the MT, it's been fantastic for avoiding blocked flow.

I'm running BruControl on an older MacBook Pro 13" with VirtualBox.

I'd like to add more valves (and variable control valves for the pumps), plus I need relays to control the pumps. So I'm still a fair ways off from real automation.

Today is my first run at a full 10 gal, it's a Sip of Sunshine clone (it's my 138th batch). Normally I do a traditional step mash, but to keep things simple and save a little time I'm doing single infusion today.

Many thanks to Pete in the early going when I was trying to figure out the hardware.

I mostly brew Belgians, along with the occasional NEIPA, my current favorite experimental is "Barnglow (Viking Edition)" a NEIPA farmhouse w/Hornindal Kveik yeast.

Cheers - Gregg

View media item 70351

For fermentors, I have a 14 gal Spike conical, a 7 gal Spike Flex, and a 7 gal SSBrewtech Brewbucket.

I have a three faucet fridge, I run all nitro, one stout faucet and two Ventmatics (I'm a gigantic Ventmatic fan, those faucets are the best ever!).

Well it was going fantastic until a hose came undone during chilling. I guess I need to get hose clamps everywhere, duh.

The yeast was going away at it this morning, so we'll have to see how things turn out.

Now I just have to finish cleaning that corner of the garage tonight ;-).

Back