Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always get the latest bleeding edge release if you PM me. I suspect that I'll release 1.2 and maybe 1.3 before Christmas. Depending on how much off time I get for Christmas, you may see 2.0 by next January. Hopefully, 2.0 will have a ton of cool new features.

Hey man, this looks pretty nice!
I've been using strangebrew java on linux but since the layout doesn't work on my new little netbook (fermentables, hops are too squished to be of use) I thought I'd try this guy out. (thanks for the deb)
The resizing/maximizing on the netbook displays very well!

One feature I really like if I may, is the File menu -> Copy To Clipboard feature in strangebrew.
This places a text representation of your recipe in your clipboard, ready for quick and easy pasting into an email.
There's also export to html or text that's very handy.

But otherwise yer lookin' good, thanks much!

Hey man, this looks pretty nice!
I've been using strangebrew java on linux but since the layout doesn't work on my new little netbook (fermentables, hops are too squished to be of use) I thought I'd try this guy out. (thanks for the deb)
The resizing/maximizing on the netbook displays very well!

One feature I really like if I may, is the File menu -> Copy To Clipboard feature in strangebrew.
This places a text representation of your recipe in your clipboard, ready for quick and easy pasting into an email.
There's also export to html or text that's very handy.

But otherwise yer lookin' good, thanks much!

Alright, working on it right now. Maybe a way to do a BBCode version too so that it's easy to post to homebrewtalk forums?

Downloaded version 1.1 for mac.
It seems to be what I've been looking for.
But when creating a recipe if I put in one pound of grain it changes to 22.046 lbs. And when setting up my equipment all the volumes are in tsps?

Downloaded version 1.1 for mac.
It seems to be what I've been looking for.
But when creating a recipe if I put in one pound of grain it changes to 22.046 lbs. And when setting up my equipment all the volumes are in tsps?

You can enter volumes, weight, and any simple measurement in whatever unit you like. The software displays the most appropriate units (i.e. the smallest unit it can, which is why 0 comes up as 0 tsp). Enter 2.0 gal, and "2.0 gal" will show. Enter "0.5 lb" and "8.00 oz" will show. This is to make conversion between units as easy as possible, so that, for example, if you find a recipe in metric and you want it in English, just enter in "2 kg" here and "4 L" there, and it will get converted to your preferred units (set in the options) automatically.

I suspect you are entering something like "1 LB" and it's getting confused because a capital "L" is supposed to be a liter. You must enter units in the right case. See the help in the toolbar for a list of available units.

I would love to see the 1.1 version for the Mac. I downloaded 1.1 mac zip and it crashes every time. I am running 10.5.7 fully updated. I looked for any install help files or support forums but didn't see any. It looks very cool.

I download 1.0a to take a peek and that works fine.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

I would love to see the 1.1 version for the Mac. I downloaded 1.1 mac zip and it crashes every time. I am running 10.5.7 fully updated. I looked for any install help files or support forums but didn't see any. It looks very cool.

I download 1.0a to take a peek and that works fine.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Somebody else had this problem, and it was because they were using an old version of the Qt runtime library.

Downloads — Qt - A cross-platform application and UI framework

Go download the Qt 4.5 free framework. Post back when you get it working (or not).

VERY good start! I'm impressed. And thank you for open-sourcing the project!

I was just perusing BeerRecipes.org and thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to use pics like the glasses they use to represent the style of beer chosen in your program? Just a thought.

I'm using the 1.1 version of Brewtarget on OS X (with the latest Cocoa QT library installed on 10.5.7/10.5.8), and I've noticed a few visual artifacts in pulldown menus. Is this the QT library on OS X which is flaky? I haven't had a chance to install your app in a Linux VM to test.

Finally, what's the best way to help with bug reports and such? Since I can't program, it's the least I feel I can do to help. :)

Again, great job, keep up the good work!

VERY good start! I'm impressed. And thank you for open-sourcing the project!

I was just perusing BeerRecipes.org and thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool to use pics like the glasses they use to represent the style of beer chosen in your program? Just a thought.

I'm using the 1.1 version of Brewtarget on OS X (with the latest Cocoa QT library installed on 10.5.7/10.5.8), and I've noticed a few visual artifacts in pulldown menus. Is this the QT library on OS X which is flaky? I haven't had a chance to install your app in a Linux VM to test.

Finally, what's the best way to help with bug reports and such? Since I can't program, it's the least I feel I can do to help. :)

Again, great job, keep up the good work!

Cool pics. Didn't realize there were so many glasses :)

As far as visual artifacts, I haven't noticed any. I'm not too familiar with macs, but try the normal qt 4.5 library which I posted a link to.

For bugs and feature requests, the best way is to go here, and choose either "bugs" or "feature requests" under the "tracker" menu. Although, I've been translating the posts on this thread into bugs and feature requests there.

I downloaded the file and it is now asking me what I want to open it with. There is nothing on my cpu that will open this file. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to download some thing else to run this software?

Thanks
Craig

I just used this to brew a Dunkelweizen. I like it. The only thing I found was the small library of fermentables and hops... but, with some interweb digging, I was able to add most of my crazy hops data into the database with success.

I use Mac, PC and Linux here at casachicken. The fact that I can do my prep work on my Mac of Doom and then brew with my EePC or my Powerbook on the patio or on the road is great.

I Primarily use Beer Alchemy BTW.

This is weird... I know I've installed qmake but I still get "ERROR: you do not have a qmake" when i try to run configure. Any idea? And btw, if it's not too much trouble, could you make an RPM?

Is there any way to install this on Mac without having to download and install the gigantic Qt developer package?

Is there any way to install this on Mac without having to download and install the gigantic Qt developer package?

You don't need to download the dev package (SDK). Only the Qt framework aka library. I wish the macs were up to date with the latest Qt release, but it seems that there are a lot of macs with old versions of Qt.

I downloaded the file and it is now asking me what I want to open it with. There is nothing on my cpu that will open this file. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to download some thing else to run this software?

I assume you are talking about the zip file for windows? Download 7zip, unzip the package, put the contents wherever you want.

This is weird... I know I've installed qmake but I still get "ERROR: you do not have a qmake" when i try to run configure. Any idea? And btw, if it's not too much trouble, could you make an RPM?

What happens when you run 'which qmake'? If there is no output, qmake is not in a directory in your path variable. There is no need to make an rpm. The "alien" package converts .deb to .rpm and vice versa.

You don't need to download the dev package (SDK). Only the Qt framework aka library. I wish the macs were up to date with the latest Qt release, but it seems that there are a lot of macs with old versions of Qt.
And where would I go to download just the framework? I can only find the link to download the whole enchilada.

I compiled it and imported my beersmith recipes. I got the equipment setup just right too. I am wondering, is there a way to setup multiple mashes? I have four different mashes that I have preset in beersmith (different thicknesses and temperatures). I would love to have those as presets in Brewtarget. I would also like to see percentage of grist for the fermentables. Those seems to be the only missing things (for my application anyway).

I like the program a lot, even if it tells me my beers are "Way hoppy."

I compiled it and imported my beersmith recipes. I got the equipment setup just right too. I am wondering, is there a way to setup multiple mashes? I have four different mashes that I have preset in beersmith (different thicknesses and temperatures). I would love to have those as presets in Brewtarget. I would also like to see percentage of grist for the fermentables. Those seems to be the only missing things (for my application anyway).

I like the program a lot, even if it tells me my beers are "Way hoppy."

Currently, you can't save a mash as a preset, but I'll add that to the list. Yeah, I forgot about the percentages of grains since I normally don't pay any attention to that, but I've already corrected that feature for the next version.

Also, don't worry about the maltiness indicator...It's basically the same thing as that colorful Og/IBU graph that gets posted on here all the time. Some styles will come out "cloying" and others will come out "way hoppy," but that's what makes the styles unique :) Making sure that the color of the IBU display is green is a better indication that you'll get what you expect.

Currently, you can't save a mash as a preset, but I'll add that to the list. Yeah, I forgot about the percentages of grains since I normally don't pay any attention to that, but I've already corrected that feature for the next version.

Also, don't worry about the maltiness indicator...It's basically the same thing as that colorful Og/IBU graph that gets posted on here all the time. Some styles will come out "cloying" and others will come out "way hoppy," but that's what makes the styles unique :) Making sure that the color of the IBU display is green is a better indication that you'll get what you expect.

I was tongue-in-cheek about the hoppy comment. I grew up brewing in Oregon and my tastes have always taken me to beers with an IBU over 75.

Thanks for looking into saving different mash profiles. I look forward to your next release.

-Michael

Good stuff, I like it.

Now I'm curious as to porting it to the iphone. I know nothing about programming, let alone porting to the iphone. Apparently the iphone's OS is based on OS X, so this might be rather straightforward since you already ported onto Mac.

The downside is that unless you released it as a jailbreak app, it costs 100 bucks a year to publish iphone apps, if you charge for it 30% of the cost goes to apple, and they don't pay you until you hit 250 dollars in sales.

Still, if someone *did* do an iphone app of this, I'd be willing to pitch in 25 bucks so that you could publish it. I imagine you could find 3 other people willing to as well, especially if you'd make the app free after that.

Just throwing it out there.

I can't get brew target to run. I am having the same problem as one of the posters above. I am trying to run it on a mac (non-intel chip) and when I try to open the program after download it asks me what application to open it with. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

I can't get brew target to run. I am having the same problem as one of the posters above. I am trying to run it on a mac (non-intel chip) and when I try to open the program after download it asks me what application to open it with. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks.

I'm confused. Did someone post up a Mac binary? It seems to be that you would need to unpack the code and compile it for your machine.

As the software matures some, and he gets some interested people with Macs, he might start creating binaries, or install packages, but as far as I know you need to download the code, unpack (unzip) it and compile it. Then you can run it.

yeah, my problem is that none of that makes any sense to me. I am fairly competent with my computer, but I know nothing about programming or compiling... whatever that is. I just wasn't sure if there was a simple instruction I could follow. If not, I'll just wait and hope he comes out with something later. Thanks for the response though.

I'm confused. Did someone post up a Mac binary? It seems to be that you would need to unpack the code and compile it for your machine.
Yes, there's a pre-built OS X version, BUT you need to have the QT libraries loaded on your system before you try to run Brewtarget
Qt for Mac OS X 10.4+
or, for Leopard (10.5) only, a true Cocoa version:
Qt for Mac OS X 10.5+
I've noticed some odd button redraw issues with the Cocoa version under 10.5.8, and the author asked that I try the original recipe of Qt, which I haven't tried yet. YMMV. :)

Finally, the Mac version of Brewtarget is here.

That worked perfect. I think the problem for me was that the link to brewtarget in the orginal post was for the windows version. I couldn't find any other link so I tried to make that one work which was the problem. Thanks for all the help. Now it is up and running fine. Thanks again.

I just went through and did the tutorial. I love it. Nice work and thanks for making this great open source brew software. One Suggestion, in the fermentables list, maybe separating out the extracts from the malts would be helpful. I understand wanting to keep them together by style, but it seems to be easier to sort through by fermentable type as in beeralchemy. Just a thought. But I love it!

Great software! The tutorial got me up and running in a few minutes, excellent work!

I'm doing my first AG batch this weekend and I've decided to use Brewtarget instead of ProMash. I'm excited to see how it grows with me :)

+1 for OSS!

I'm absolutely ecstatic that someone is working on an up-to-date open source brewing project. Using open source for brewing just feels "right" so I have been limping along on the Strangbrew and qbrew packages but they feel orphaned. I dig the simple interface and that it is quick to throw a recipe into and get some numbers and a brewday out of it. For the record I'm a Mac 10.4 user on a G4 Mac...

I am liking this and most of the little feature improvements have already been covered in this thread but I will add 2 more. I'd REALLY like the option of adding ingredients as a percentage of overall mash because many recipes are stated that way. It can really be a pain to tweak them - in the interim a nice touch would be just showing the percentages so I don't have to break out the slide rule while I play with the amounts ;) The other option I'd like to see is a water profile manager - I have a couple of profiles of bottled water I use and need to tweak. I consider these "nice to haves" though and I will be using this to plan my next few brew days to see how things go.

Rocketman,

I like that the user can add steps (or reminders) to the BrewSheet. I can't figure out how to print it out, though.

Cheers!

Rocketman,

I like that the user can add steps (or reminders) to the BrewSheet. I can't figure out how to print it out, though.

Cheers!

Hm, good point. Added to the list.

It can really be a pain to tweak them - in the interim a nice touch would be just showing the percentages so I don't have to break out the slide rule while I play with the amounts The other option I'd like to see is a water profile manager - I have a couple of profiles of bottled water I use and need to tweak. I consider these "nice to haves" though and I will be using this to plan my next few brew days to see how things go.

Yup. The percentages thing has been fixed and is ready to go when the next version is out. For water profiles, I might add some simple tool shortly depending on how much time I have.

Rocketman.. excellent program, I love the brewday steps/timers. Exactly what I've been looking for!

Keep up the awesome work!

I was having trouble setting up QT on ubuntu, luckily I can dual boot to win!

Back